Can a human survive on a diet without fat?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: But on a serious note, fat is essential for our bodies to function properly. It provides energy, helps absorb vitamins and minerals, and is a major component of our cell membranes and hormones. A diet without any fat can lead to serious health issues and even death in the long term. It's important to have a balanced diet that includes healthy fats.In summary, a diet without any fat is not sustainable and can lead to serious health issues in the long term. Fat is essential for our bodies to function properly and a balanced diet that includes healthy fats is important for overall health.
Loren Booda
Remove all of the fat you would normally ingest - would you be able to live for long?

Physics news on Phys.org
I ate a zero fat diet for almost a month once. Surprisingly enough, I don't remember loosing any weight (fatness) and I remember feeling really tired all the time.

Topher925 said:
I ate a zero fat diet for almost a month once. Surprisingly enough, I don't remember loosing any weight (fatness) and I remember feeling really tired all the time.

Maybe you felt tired because fats are what the body uses to store energy, so you had no energy storage, and instead your body had to be constantly producing fat from what you did eat. But that's not a professional opinion :)

Loren Booda said:
Remove all of the fat you would normally ingest - would you be able to live for long?

depends. how fat are you now? you can live on your reserves for a good long time.

and despite lipogenesis, there are still fatty acids that are considered essential, like the omega-3's. women are somewhat better at producing omega-3 than men, but even there, I'm not sure how good they would be at it with zero fat in the diet (don't remember the fatty acid it was made from).

unfortunately, tho, there seems to be more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation" on the subject than real data, but i don't think i'd try it for an extended period. seems like a really bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the omega 3's and 6's cannot be made by the body, and thus are essential fatty acids. Most people get more than enough omega-6's, but not enough of the omega-3's. There is also some research which suggests having too much omega-6 without omega-3 can cause some problems.

"Essential fatty acids play an important role in the life and death of cardiac cells." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_fatty_acids

I am not very well versed in this, but I know that there are some "essential" amino acids, id est, amino acids that the human body cannot manufacture. If you stop ingesting these essential amino acids, eventually your body will have a shortage and start experiencing the symptoms of certain rare syndromes. These diseases are generally most common among malnourished populations in the developing world and vegans in the west, as animal protein contains all the essential amino acids.

I am unsure if there are essential lipids, but assuming that there are, one is likely to experience similar symptoms. It would not harm you right away, but eventually you would become ill.

I should probably add that, as far as I know, no food contains 0 fat. All cells should have some kind of lipid in them, unless some kind of processing has been used to totally remove it, although statistically speaking, the usable fat content might be 0%.

vociferous said:
I am not very well versed in this, but I know that there are some "essential" amino acids, id est, amino acids that the human body cannot manufacture. If you stop ingesting these essential amino acids, eventually your body will have a shortage and start experiencing the symptoms of certain rare syndromes. These diseases are generally most common among malnourished populations in the developing world and vegans in the west, as animal protein contains all the essential amino acids.

I am unsure if there are essential lipids, but assuming that there are, one is likely to experience similar symptoms. It would not harm you right away, but eventually you would become ill.

Yes you're right, the research says that without the essential fatty acids, that happens to you.

Why would you want a 0 fat diet when 2/3 of your brain is made from fats?

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/fats.html#fatsbuild

Last edited by a moderator:
My doctor said fat is essential and told me I wasn't getting enough.

My doctor told me to eat more nachos. [That's my story and I'm sticking to it, esp if Tsu asks]

Oh Yeah! I've heard nachos are really nutritious. Lots of vitamin C in those jalapenos you know.

[wink]

You need fat. It is the component of a plasma membrane and all your hormones, and some fatty acids even inhibit cancer. Simply put, without fat you will die. Without derivatives from these fats you will bleed out, go into cardiac arrest, or any number of hundreds of ways to die.

I should start selling t-shirts "Save an Olsen Twin! Give her a burger" with a giant cheeseburger picture with dripping water from the lettuce.. mmmm

I think if you trying to lose weight you should cut back on carbohydrates, but not the fats.

Last edited:
Are you asking to lose weight?

Wax said:
Are you asking to lose weight?

i understood the question to be whether fat is essential in the diet. and it is. however, i suspect you would actually live for a long time if you, as an adult, cut out all fat but kept calories the same. you just wouldn't be very healthy or live nearly as long as a person with fat in their diet.

cronxeh said:
I should start selling t-shirts "Save an Olsen Twin! Give her a burger" with a giant cheeseburger picture with dripping water from the lettuce.. mmmm

That would be funny!

Can a Human Survive on a Diet Without Fat?

Fat is an essential nutrient for the human body, and it plays several vital roles in maintaining health. Here are some common questions related to whether a human can survive on a diet without fat:

Q1: Is Fat an Essential Nutrient?

Yes, fat is an essential nutrient for the human body. It provides energy, supports cell growth, aids in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K), and plays a crucial role in various bodily functions, including the formation of cell membranes and the production of hormones.

Q2: Can a Diet Completely Devoid of Fat Sustain Human Life?

A diet completely devoid of fat is not sustainable for human life in the long term. While the body can use carbohydrates and protein for energy, fat is necessary for certain critical functions. Without dietary fat, a person may experience severe health problems and nutritional deficiencies.

Q3: What Happens When a Person Consumes No Fat?

When a person consumes no dietary fat, several health issues can arise, including:

• **Nutritional Deficiencies:** The body will lack essential fatty acids, leading to deficiencies in fat-soluble vitamins and potential health problems.
  • **Skin and Hair Problems:** Dry skin, brittle hair, and nail issues may develop due to the lack of fat.
  • **Hormonal Imbalances:** Hormone production may be affected, leading to irregular menstrual cycles in women and other hormonal disruptions.
  • **Cognitive and Nervous System Issues:** The brain relies on fat for optimal function, and a fat-free diet may affect cognitive abilities and mood.
  • **Digestive Problems:** Fat helps in the absorption of certain nutrients, and its absence can lead to digestive issues.
These problems can become severe if a fat-free diet is maintained over an extended period.

Q4: What Is the Recommended Daily Intake of Dietary Fat?

The recommended daily intake of dietary fat varies depending on factors like age, sex, and activity level. In general, it is recommended that fats make up about 20-35% of daily caloric intake. However, the type of fat consumed is crucial, with an emphasis on healthy fats such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.

Q5: What Are Healthy Sources of Dietary Fat?

Healthy sources of dietary fat include:

• **Avocado:** A source of monounsaturated fats.
  • **Olive Oil:** Rich in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants.
  • **Fatty Fish:** Provides omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for heart health.
  • **Nuts and Seeds:** Contain a variety of healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
  • **Dairy Products:** Offer a balance of saturated and unsaturated fats.
It's important to include these sources of healthy fat in a balanced diet.

Q6: Can Extremely Low-Fat Diets Be Medically Prescribed?

Extremely low-fat diets may be medically prescribed for specific medical conditions, such as severe cases of obesity or certain gastrointestinal disorders. However, these diets are typically closely monitored by healthcare professionals and may include supplementation to prevent nutritional deficiencies.

In summary, fat is an essential nutrient for the human body, and a diet completely devoid of fat is not sustainable for long-term health and survival. It's important to consume healthy sources of dietary fat in moderation to support overall well-being and bodily functions.