Conversion of one ionic compound to another.

• Thread starter agrocadabra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of learning chemistry and provides a summary of three different reactions: potassium carbonate to zinc carbonate, magnesium sulfate to magnesium hydroxide, and lead nitrate to sodium nitrate. The summary also mentions the importance of solubility rules and filtering to separate precipitates from solutions. Feedback is requested on the accuracy of the provided answers.
agrocadabra
Ok so I'm doing chemistry 1 at uni and have done my first practical. I haven't much background at all in chemistry as I have taken it as an elective for my BEng(elec). I am finding it rather confusing with so many words to remember and so many links to be made between those words to understand. Perhaps I'm a stupid ape?

Here are the questions and my answers:::

Potassium carbonate to zinc carbonate:
Mix together aqueous solutions of Potassium carbonate and Zinc Nitrate then filter out the precipitated Zinc carbonate.

Magnesium sulfate to magnesium hydroxide:
Mix together aqueous solutions of magnesium sulfate and sodium hydrixide. Magnesium hydroxide isolated by filtration.

Lead nitrate to sodium nitrate:
Mix aqueous solutions of lead nitrate and sodium chloride together then filter out the lead chloride and evaporate the water from the resultant filtrate to get a hydrated sodium nitrate.

Please I have no idea if these are right but these are the answers that make sense to me at the moment hence the best i can do at the moment so please give some feedback. Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are ionic rearrangment reactions. Review your solubility rules. If precipitates form, then they may be filtered to separate them from the rest of the resulting solution. Note that some (many?) chlorides of heavy metals are insoluble.

I would like to commend you for taking the time to understand and learn about chemistry even though it is not your main field of study. It is completely normal to feel overwhelmed and confused when first starting out in a new subject, especially one as complex as chemistry. The key to mastering any subject is practice and repetition, so I would encourage you to continue practicing and reviewing the concepts until they become more familiar to you.

In terms of your answers, they are generally correct. However, I would like to clarify a few points. In the conversion of potassium carbonate to zinc carbonate, it is important to note that the reaction is a double displacement reaction, where the potassium ion and zinc ion switch places to form the new compound. Also, in the conversion of lead nitrate to sodium nitrate, it is important to mention that the lead chloride is filtered out because it is insoluble in water, while the sodium nitrate remains in the solution because it is soluble. Overall, your answers show a good understanding of the conversion process.

My suggestion would be to continue practicing and reviewing the concepts, and also to seek help from your instructor or classmates if you have any further questions or confusions. Chemistry can be a challenging subject, but with dedication and persistence, you will be able to grasp the concepts and excel in your studies. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the process of converting one ionic compound to another?

The process of converting one ionic compound to another is known as chemical reaction or chemical transformation. It involves the breaking of bonds between ions in the original compound and the formation of new bonds between ions in the resulting compound.

2. Why would one want to convert one ionic compound to another?

There are several reasons why one would want to convert one ionic compound to another. It could be to obtain a compound with different properties, to purify a compound, or to create a compound that is not readily available in nature.

3. What factors affect the conversion of one ionic compound to another?

The factors that affect the conversion of one ionic compound to another include the chemical properties of the original compounds, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, and the presence of any catalysts.

4. Can any ionic compound be converted to another?

No, not all ionic compounds can be converted to another. The conversion depends on the reactivity and stability of the compounds involved. Some compounds may not undergo a chemical reaction at all, while others may only undergo certain types of reactions.

5. What are some common methods for converting one ionic compound to another?

Some common methods for converting one ionic compound to another include precipitation, neutralization, and redox reactions. These methods involve the use of different reagents and conditions to facilitate the conversion of the original compound into the desired compound.