How to get velocity and position from an acceleration-time graph?

In summary, the plot shows the acceleration of a particle starting at 10 m with a velocity of 9 m/s. At 7 seconds, the velocity is -12 m/s and the position is -0.5 m. The equations v=v_o+at and x=v_ot+\frac{1}{2}at^2 can be used to solve these problems, but each equation must be used twice.
veryconfused
Consider the plot below describing the acceleration of a particle along a straight line with an initial position of 10 m and an initial velocity of 9 m/s.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5492/grapho.jpg

1. What is the velocity at 7 s?
2. What is the position at 7 s?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help me! I got the answer -12 for #1 and -0.5 for #2, but the computer's telling me these are wrong (it's an online worksheet). I don't understand why?

Well you can use the two default equations.
[tex]v=v_o +at[/tex]
[tex]x=v_ot+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
You'll have to use each equation twice for each problem though.

1. How do I calculate velocity from an acceleration-time graph?

To calculate velocity from an acceleration-time graph, you can use the formula: velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time. This formula is derived from the basic kinematic equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. Can I determine position from an acceleration-time graph?

Yes, it is possible to determine position from an acceleration-time graph. However, you will need to have the initial position and initial velocity values in order to do so. The formula to calculate position from an acceleration-time graph is: position = initial position + initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time2. This formula is derived from the kinematic equation s = ut + 1/2 at2, where s is the final position.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity on an acceleration-time graph?

The relationship between acceleration and velocity on an acceleration-time graph is that acceleration is the slope of the velocity-time graph. This means that the steeper the slope of the acceleration-time graph, the greater the acceleration. Additionally, the area under the acceleration-time graph represents the change in velocity over time.

4. Can I determine the total distance traveled from an acceleration-time graph?

Yes, you can determine the total distance traveled from an acceleration-time graph by finding the area under the curve on the graph. This area represents the displacement or change in position over time. However, if the acceleration-time graph is not a straight line, you will need to use integration to find the area under the curve and calculate the total distance traveled.

5. How can I use an acceleration-time graph in real-world situations?

An acceleration-time graph can be used to analyze the motion of objects in real-world situations. For example, it can be used to study the acceleration of a car during a race, the acceleration of a roller coaster during a ride, or the acceleration of a projectile in projectile motion. It can also be used to predict the final velocity and position of an object at a given time, and to make adjustments to improve performance or safety in various fields such as sports, engineering, and transportation.