Calculating Effective Nuclear Charge using Ionization Energy

Now, the important thing is to realize that n is not dimensionless. So, if you have Zeff/n2, you can't just cancel out n2.So, here's the strategy: Assume that you have the correct value of Zeff, and use it to calculate the value of n that would give the correct value of the ionization energy, 5.14 eV. Then, use that value of n to calculate Zeff.In summary, the effective nuclear charge of the outermost electron in sodium can be found by using the equation Zeff = Z - S, where S is the shielding constant. However, the ionization energy of sodium can also be used to calculate Zeff by using the
doublavay
Find the effective nuclear charge of the outermost electron in sodium using its ionization energy.

Ionization energy of sodium = 5.14 eV = 8.23e-19 J
Zeff = Z - S

I tried using the equation Zeff = Z - S, but when I followed all the rules, I found

S = (8*0.85)+(2*1.00) = 8.8
Zeff = 11 - 8.8 = 2.2

but the answer in my book says that it should be 1.8, and that method didn't use the ionization energy of sodium. I need to find an equation that explains quantitatively how ionization energy relates to Zeff.

Likes VSayantan
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums! And sorry for the delay in responding.

Up until the last 10 minutes, I was not familiar with this type of problem. After a google search, I am now familiar with two ways to solve this problem.

One way is the way you did it, but they don't seem to want that. The other way is shown here, look at the equation for Zeff:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=266326

That way does make use of the ionization potential. You'll have to use the appropriate value of n as well, of course.

Likes VSayantan
I'm still having trouble with this problem, because E = RH (Zeff / n)2 doesn't seem to have units that cancel out. Energy is measured in Joules or eV, but RH is the only thing with units on the other side of the equation, and it has units of m-1. Or maybe I'm using the wrong value of RH... I thought it was just the Rydberg constant multiplied by 1(because it's Hydrogen). Is that incorrect?

Likes VSayantan
It's good to know that some people still pay attention to units :smile:

RH, with the units of m-1, is 1/λ for ionization of the hydrogen atom. Instead, use the Rydberg constant in eV, which may be found in the Atomic constants section here:

http://www.pnc.aps.anl.gov/info/Physical_constants_1986.html

(This is simply the ionization energy of Hydrogen.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes VSayantan

1. What is effective nuclear charge?

Effective nuclear charge is the positive charge experienced by an electron in an atom. It takes into account the attraction from the nucleus and the repulsion from other electrons in the atom.

2. How is effective nuclear charge calculated?

Effective nuclear charge can be calculated by subtracting the shielding constant from the atomic number. The shielding constant represents the number of inner electrons that shield the outer electron from the full charge of the nucleus.

3. Why is effective nuclear charge important?

Effective nuclear charge is important because it determines the size and energy of an atom. It also affects the ionization energy, which is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom.

4. How do you use ionization energy to calculate effective nuclear charge?

Ionization energy can be used to calculate effective nuclear charge by using the Rydberg equation. This equation relates the ionization energy of an electron with the effective nuclear charge and the distance of the electron from the nucleus.

5. How does effective nuclear charge affect the properties of an atom?

Effective nuclear charge affects the properties of an atom by influencing its size, reactivity, and ionization energy. It also determines the electron configuration and the stability of the atom.