Gravitational Force on an object

In summary, the conversation is about finding the gravitational force between two objects, x and y, in a right triangle formation. The equation Gm1m2/(r^2) is used to calculate the gravitational force, with G being the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 being the masses of the objects, and r being the distance between them. The angle does not seem to play a role in this calculation. It is unclear if there is any additional information missing from the question.
coffeecake

Homework Statement

If there are three objects (in a right triangle formation) with different masses (say x,y,z) (with y being the mass at the 90 degree angle) and different distances between x and y (distance A) and between y and z (distance B), how do you find the gravitational force between mass x and mass y?

y-----x
|
|
|
z

there's my best attempt at a picture

Homework Equations

Gm1m2/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(Gm1m2)/(r^2) A.K.A. [G(massofx)(massofy)]/(distanceA^2)
is that the right equation? I checked my answer but it was incorrect.
does the angle have anything to do with it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
coffeecake said:

Homework Statement

If there are three objects (in a right triangle formation) with different masses (say x,y,z) (with y being the mass at the 90 degree angle) and different distances between x and y (distance A) and between y and z (distance B), how do you find the gravitational force between mass x and mass y?

y-----x
|
|
|
z

there's my best attempt at a picture

Homework Equations

Gm1m2/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(Gm1m2)/(r^2) A.K.A. [G(massofx)(massofy)]/(distanceA^2)
is that the right equation? I checked my answer but it was incorrect.
does the angle have anything to do with it?

Are you sure you have written out the question correctly? Also, post more details of your calculations, so we can check for errors.

I think you are using the right equation to find the gravitational force between two objects .. is it an online homework question or you have another solution from the textbook? .. and I don't think the angle has anything to do here , unless you are asked to find the gravitational force between x and z since it will simplfy the way to get it, but in your question I don't think you need this information ..

If the question you wrote is not completed please write any missing information ..

What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is an attractive force that exists between any two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping objects in orbit and determining the weight of an object.

How is gravitational force calculated?

Gravitational force is calculated using the formula F = G (m1m2)/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them. This formula is also known as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

What is the relationship between mass and gravitational force?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater the gravitational force between it and other objects. This means that objects with larger masses will have a stronger gravitational pull on other objects.

Does gravitational force affect all objects equally?

No, gravitational force affects objects differently depending on their mass and distance from each other. The greater the mass and closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational force.

Can gravitational force be shielded or canceled out?

Gravitational force cannot be shielded or canceled out, as it is a fundamental force of nature. However, it can be balanced out by other forces, such as electromagnetic force, resulting in objects appearing weightless in space.