Need help with a brushless motor?

In summary, The person is seeking help with understanding and creating a controller for a brushless motor from a HDD. They are interested in learning about the motor and creating their own controller rather than buying one. They mention the motor has four inputs and ask for information on the name and type of motor. They are directed to resources for CD-ROM motor rebuilds and suggest starting with a brush motor controller before attempting a brushless one.
soupnatizzle
Hello! i need help with a brushless motor from a HDD.

I have very little understanding of how they work, i want to create a controller for this motor, something like a throttle system for an rc car. this is an experiement for me, I am sure the motor is not ideal for RC cars but i want to learn about them

anyway. i can't until i learn more about the motor.
It has four inputs, two ground and two Vin leads.

does anyone know the name and type of motor this might be so i can start researching it.

PS. i am in school to learn so i don't just want to by a speed controller. i want to learn and create my own.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to drill down and search into the CD-ROM motor rebuild links. There is a whole community of RC plane makers who build CD-ROM foamies and wire their own motors.

http://goldeneye.ethz.ch/motoren/electric/cdrom/index_EN

http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/cdrom.htm

Commercial Kits:

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=diy+brushless+kits

If you haven't done any controller designs yet, I suggest doing a brush motor controller first to get some basic principles down. This is a hobby brushless controller:

http://www.aerodesign.de/peter/2001/LRK350/SPEEDY-BL_eng.html

as you can see from the bottom scope traces the 3-phase timing signals are quite sophisticated and require understanding of fast switching transistors controlled by a brushless controller chip.

Last edited:

1. What is a brushless motor and how does it work?

A brushless motor is a type of electric motor that operates without the use of brushes or commutators. Instead, it uses electronic commutation to switch the current in the windings and create rotational motion. This allows for a more efficient and durable motor compared to traditional brushed motors.

2. How do I choose the right brushless motor for my application?

Choosing the right brushless motor depends on several factors, such as the voltage and current requirements, the size and weight limitations, and the desired speed and torque. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with a motor expert to select the best motor for your specific application.

3. Can I control the speed of a brushless motor?

Yes, brushless motors can be controlled using electronic speed controllers (ESCs). These devices monitor the motor's speed and adjust the power supply to the windings accordingly, allowing for precise speed control.

4. How do I maintain and troubleshoot a brushless motor?

To maintain a brushless motor, it is important to regularly clean and inspect the motor for any debris or damage. It is also recommended to regularly lubricate the bearings and replace any damaged components. If troubleshooting is needed, it is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek help from a professional.

5. Are brushless motors more expensive than brushed motors?

In general, brushless motors tend to be more expensive than brushed motors due to their more complex design and use of electronic components. However, they also offer higher efficiency and durability, making them a cost-effective option in the long run.