Derivative of an inverse trig function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of \sec^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{t}\right) where 0<t<1 using u-substitution. The mistake in the attempt at a solution was corrected and the correct derivative is \frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-t^{2}}}. The conversation also mentions the relationship between \cos x and \sec x.
efekwulsemmay

Homework Statement

[tex]y=sec^{-1}\frac{1}{t}, 0<t<1[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}sec^{-1} x= \frac{1}{\left|x\right|\cdot\sqrt{x^{2}-1}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically to simplify things I used u substitution so I let u=1/t then du/dt=-1/t2 and I got:

[tex]y=sec^{-1}u\rightarrow y^{,}=\frac{1}{\left|u\right|\cdot\sqrt{u^{2}-1}}\cdot\frac{du}{dt}[/tex]

which,when I substituted for u, I got:

[tex]=\frac{1}{\left|\frac{1}{t}\right|\cdot\sqrt{\left(\frac{1}{t}\right)^{2}-1}}\cdot\frac{-1}{t^{2}}[/tex]

which works out as:

[tex]=\frac{-1}{\left|\frac{1}{t}\right|\cdot t^{2}\cdot\sqrt{\frac{1^{2}}{t^{2}}-1}}[/tex]

and:

[tex]=\frac{-1}{t\cdot\sqrt{1-t^{2}}}[/tex]

however, the answer as per the back of the book is:

[tex]\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-t^{2}}}[/tex]

what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The step,
[tex]\frac{-1}{\left|\frac{1}{t}\right|\cdot t^{2}\cdot\sqrt{\frac{1^{2}}{t^{2}}-1}} = \frac{-1}{t\cdot\sqrt{1-t^{2}}}[/tex]
is incorrect. Remember
[tex]a\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{a^2b}[/tex]
so you have,
[tex]t\sqrt{1/t^2-1} = \sqrt{1-t^2}[/tex]

ooooooooh ok. that makes more sense. that's clever hehehe

thank you so much :smile:

For next time, you may remember that since [tex]\cos x = \frac{1}{\sec x}[/tex], it is true that [tex]\sec^{-1} \left(\frac{1}{x}\right) = \cos^{-1} x[/tex] and so the derivative is standard.

1. What is the general rule for finding the derivative of an inverse trig function?

The general rule for finding the derivative of an inverse trig function is to first rewrite the inverse trig function in terms of its corresponding trig function. Then, use the chain rule to differentiate the function.

2. Can the derivative of an inverse trig function be simplified?

Yes, the derivative of an inverse trig function can often be simplified by using trigonometric identities or algebraic manipulations.

3. How do I find the derivative of an inverse trig function if it is in a different form?

If the inverse trig function is in a different form, such as a fraction or a power, you can use algebraic manipulations to rewrite it in terms of its corresponding trig function before applying the general rule for finding the derivative.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the derivative of an inverse trig function?

Yes, there are special cases when finding the derivative of an inverse trig function. For example, the derivative of arctan(x) is 1/(1+x^2), while the derivative of arcsin(x) is 1/sqrt(1-x^2).

5. Can the derivative of an inverse trig function be used to find the slope of a tangent line?

Yes, the derivative of an inverse trig function can be used to find the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on the corresponding trig function's graph. This is because the derivative represents the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the graph.