Fresnel's Rhomb and polarization

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the calculation of phase difference between E(perpendicular) and E(parallel) polarization components. The person is unsure of the relevant equations and is seeking help in finding the correct approach, specifically asking if Fresnel coefficients can be used. They also provide a link to a book that may be helpful.
tuomas22

Homework Statement

http://xs.to/image-A876_4BAF6DF1.jpg
alpha = 54.6 degrees

I need to calculate phase difference between E(perpendicular) and E(parallel) polarization components.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem is I don't know any relevant equations!
Can I get the phase difference from Fresnel coefficients somehow??
Or actually I don't know even how to get the polarization components calculated.

So if someone could point me to right direction it would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
any help? :smile:

could use some help :( please

1. What is Fresnel's Rhomb and how does it work?

Fresnel's Rhomb is an optical device used to produce circularly polarized light. It consists of two prisms of equal refractive index, with their bases joined together at a 45 degree angle. Light entering the rhomb is split into two perpendicular polarized beams, which are then recombined to produce circularly polarized light.

2. What is the principle behind polarization?

Polarization refers to the orientation of electromagnetic waves in a specific direction. Light can be polarized by filtering out all waves except for those vibrating in a single direction. This is achieved by using polarizing filters or materials that have the ability to absorb light vibrations in all directions except for one.

3. How does Fresnel's Rhomb affect the polarization of light?

Fresnel's Rhomb works by altering the phase difference between the two polarized beams of light. When the beams are recombined, the phase difference results in a circularly polarized beam. This is achieved by the rhomb's unique geometry, which introduces a phase shift between the two beams.

4. What are the applications of Fresnel's Rhomb in science and technology?

Fresnel's Rhomb has many practical applications in areas such as optics, telecommunications, and material science. It is commonly used in polarimeters to analyze the polarization state of light, in laser technology to produce circularly polarized light, and in liquid crystal displays to control the polarization of light passing through the display.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fresnel's Rhomb for polarizing light?

One limitation of Fresnel's Rhomb is that it only produces circularly polarized light at a specific wavelength. This means that it is not suitable for use with broadband light sources. Additionally, the rhomb's effectiveness can be affected by temperature changes, making it less reliable for precise polarization control in certain applications.