Rotational Motion & Energy Equation (Intro Physics)

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Energy Equation to address kinetic energy, potential energy, and rotational motion in a given problem. It is important to consider the velocity of the mass in the equation and to include all three energy terms in order to account for energy conservation.
carlodelmundo

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://carlodm.com/phys/1.png

Homework Equations

Energy Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

As shown in the scan.

Is this the correct approach? I have a feeling that the velocity, v, needs to be used. I used the Energy Equation for this problem but wasn't sure if it was the right equation to address kinetic energy, potential energy, and rotational motion.

Please lead me to the right direction if I'm incorrect.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This assumes there is no energy lost due to friction, of course.
The initial energy is all potential in the mass M
At the end, the potential energy lost by the falling mass (Mgh) has appeared as kinetic energy in both the mass and the rotating table.
So you do need to consider the velocity v of the mass.

Hi StoneBridge,

Thanks for your response. How do I account for the kinetic energy of the linear 'falling of the mass' when I am only given the velocity?

For the right hand side of the equation, do I just include another kinetic energy term (... KE = (1/2)Mv^2)

Would that account for the velocity?

Thanks

The question just asks that you express everything in terms of what's given in the question. You have the mass M and the velocity v of the mass as given.
So yes, ½Mv2 is the k.e. of the falling mass, and in your notes I see the expression for the k.e. of the turntable and the p.e. the mass has at the start.
So it's just a case of including all 3 terms and remembering that energy is conserved (no friction here!)

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point, also known as the axis of rotation. This type of motion is seen in objects like wheels, gears, and planets.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion involves the movement of an object around an axis. Linear motion is described by displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while rotational motion is described by angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

3. What is the rotational energy equation?

The rotational energy equation, also known as the moment of inertia equation, is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the object's axis of rotation to the point where the mass is located.

4. How is rotational energy related to linear energy?

Rotational energy and linear energy are both forms of kinetic energy. Rotational energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion, while linear energy is the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion. Both can be converted into one another, as seen in objects like a rolling ball, where rotational energy is converted into linear energy.

5. How does the conservation of energy apply to rotational motion?

Just like in linear motion, the law of conservation of energy applies to rotational motion. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In rotational motion, this can be seen in situations where the potential energy of an object, such as a pendulum, is converted into kinetic energy as it swings back and forth.