Conservation of Energey & Kinematics

In summary, the conversation is about working on a lab on Conservation of Energy, where the goal is to determine the distance a spring needs to be stretched in order to land on a target. The lab was completed successfully using the range function to find the initial velocity, as opposed to using kinematics as instructed. The reason for this success is explained by using Conservation of Energy and the small impact of air resistance.
adnama

Homework Statement

We are working on Conservation of Energy, which for the most part I understand.
In this lab we have a spring that we have to figure out how far we have to stretch it when it's on an apparatus in order for it to land 3.75 m away on a target on the ground. Me and my partner did this and got the target. But we did it differently then the lab told us to ( the teacher didn't care). We used the range function to find the initial velocity we needed. The lab wanted us to use kinematics. Instead of trying to write everything out I scanned

what I have so far with all the work shown:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l149/adnamaplease/Scan100950000.jpg"

And the lab itself w/ a drawing:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l149/adnamaplease/Scan100950001.jpg"

Homework Equations

see work

The Attempt at a Solution

So the question is: What happened? Why does the lab work as it does? (talk about conservation of energy and kinematics)

Since I didn't use kinematics my answer is kinda a guess:

What Happened: Using Conservation of Energy we set up the equation Potential Energy = Kinetic energy + Gravitational Potential Energy. Then we used the Range function to find out what the needed initial velocity was. We found the elastics constant by making the line of best fit and finding the slope. After solving for delta x of the spring we shot the spring and it landed on the desired target.
Why: I'm not sure how to explain how it worked, this is the part I'm lost on

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand, you did use kinematics and conservation of energy. The range equation you used was derived from the parabolic kinematic equations.

It most likely worked well enough due to the air resistance being small.

When I say kinematics I mean just eh equations my teacher gave us. We never used the range function in class. We were supposed to figure it out with eh regular equations.

adnama said:
When I say kinematics I mean just eh equations my teacher gave us. We never used the range function in class. We were supposed to figure it out with eh regular equations.

I'm pretty sure had you started with the general equations you'd have ended up using the equation you used.

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

How does conservation of energy relate to kinematics?

In kinematics, conservation of energy means that the total energy of a system remains constant, even as the individual forms of energy (such as kinetic and potential) may change. This is important in analyzing the motion of objects.

What are some examples of conservation of energy in everyday life?

Some examples of conservation of energy in everyday life include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a roller coaster moving along its track, and a light bulb converting electricity into light and heat.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs the behavior of all physical systems. It allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of objects and systems in the world around us.

How is conservation of energy different from the law of conservation of momentum?

Conservation of energy and conservation of momentum are both fundamental principles in physics, but they describe different aspects of motion. While conservation of energy deals with the total energy of a system, conservation of momentum deals with the total momentum of a system. They are related, but not the same.