Satellite Orbit Problem what am I doing wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a spacecraft orbiting the moon and finding its velocity using different equations. The equation v= square root of (G X M/R) is used, but the answer received was incorrect. The conversation also discusses converting between kilometers and meters and the importance of units, specifically the gravitational constant G, which has units of m3 kg-1 s-2.
heyitslars
I have a satellite orbit problem I'm not quite understanding...any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

Suppose a spacecraft orbits the moon in a very low, circular orbit, just a few hundred meters above the lunar surface. The moon has a diameter of 3500 km, and the free-fall acceleration at the surface is 1.60 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

1. How fast is this spacecraft moving?

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the speed, I used the equation v= square root of (G X M/R), with M being the mass of the moon (I had to look that up) and G being the gravitational constant.

v= square root of (6.674E-11)(7.36E22/1750)=52980.125=>52.9 m/s

The answer I got was an available option under the answer choices; however, I got it wrong. I can't figure out another way to come up with the velocity.

I also tried using the equation mg=mv^2/R; however, I got the same number as before.
m's cancel;
g=v^2/R
v= square root of g*R
Acceleration = g in freefall
V = square root of 1.60*1750km=>52.9 m/s

Both of these answers are incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Watch your units! Kilometers and meters are not the same.

Didn't I convert between them? For the first equation I used, 52980.125 is in kilometers, then I moved the decimals 3 places over to convert to meters.

No, it is not. It is in goofy units. G is not just a number, and you used it is such. It has units. You used G=6.674E-11, more correctly, G=6.674×10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2.

1. What is the Satellite Orbit Problem?

The Satellite Orbit Problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the trajectory of a satellite in orbit around a larger celestial body, such as a planet or moon.

2. What causes the Satellite Orbit Problem?

The Satellite Orbit Problem is caused by the gravitational pull of the larger celestial body on the satellite, as well as the satellite's initial velocity and position.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving the Satellite Orbit Problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the Satellite Orbit Problem include not properly accounting for the gravitational forces, using incorrect formulas or units, and not considering the effects of other celestial objects in the satellite's orbit.

4. How can I solve the Satellite Orbit Problem?

The Satellite Orbit Problem can be solved using mathematical formulas and equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and Kepler's laws of planetary motion. Advanced computer simulations and models can also be used to accurately predict satellite orbits.

5. How can I ensure accuracy when solving the Satellite Orbit Problem?

To ensure accuracy when solving the Satellite Orbit Problem, it is important to double-check all calculations and inputs, use reliable and updated data, and consider all relevant factors, such as atmospheric drag and other celestial objects in the orbit.