Forces between charges. Did the problem, have question on the result.

In summary, the student found the attempted solution to the homework equation, but was confused about the concept of vectors not being able to be negative. The student was able to solve the equation correctly by adding vectors of negative magnitude.
frozenguy

Homework Statement

Three point charges are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle with side length a=0.50m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is how can I subtract the vector F2/1? Vectors can't be negative right? I found the magnitude of the vector to be negative. Should I have not included the negative sign for the 4 micro coulomb charge? Then I add the two vectors and that will give me the correct result.

My result is correct, but I can't minus vectors so I kind of did it illegally ya?

Thanks for your help.
physics230chp234.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that vectors can't be negative? You can subtract vectors with no problem, whoever told you this was wrong. A negative vector is an arrow pointing in the opposite direction of whatever the unit vector is. basically the vector itself isn't negative, but the magnitude is negative. for example if I have a vector 3x (3 in the x direction) it represents an arrow of magnitude 3 pointing in the x direction. --->. A vector -3x (-3 in the x direction) just represents an arrow of magnitue -3 in the x direction. <---. Don't get confused by the term "vector addition". When we subtract, all we are really doing is adding a negative number. Subtracting vectors is solely adding vectors of negative magnitude. Which is totally fine.

Hellabyte said:
Why do you think that vectors can't be negative? You can subtract vectors with no problem, whoever told you this was wrong. A negative vector is an arrow pointing in the opposite direction of whatever the unit vector is. basically the vector itself isn't negative, but the magnitude is negative. for example if I have a vector 3x (3 in the x direction) it represents an arrow of magnitude 3 pointing in the x direction. --->. A vector -3x (-3 in the x direction) just represents an arrow of magnitue -3 in the x direction. <---. Don't get confused by the term "vector addition". When we subtract, all we are really doing is adding a negative number. Subtracting vectors is solely adding vectors of negative magnitude. Which is totally fine.

Ok, that sounds very familiar to how I studied it in math.

I don't know why I can get confused with vectors.. I think its because my intro to physics teacher said that only magnitudes (scalars) are positive. If your vector comes up negative, you have initially set it in the wrong direction.

I know part of that is true, or maybe all if it in a way, I just interpreted the first part wrong I think..

So the work I wrote is correct? By adding the vectors, I subtract the components of F2/1 from F3/1

Yeah it looks fine to me, i don't have time to look into detail. You should talk to your physics teacher and tell him that the way he is saying it is confusing. I am sure he will appreciate feedback on his teaching.

1. What are the different types of forces between charges?

There are two types of forces between charges: electric forces and magnetic forces.

2. How do electric forces between charges work?

Electric forces between charges are caused by the attraction or repulsion of electrically charged particles. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

3. What is the equation for calculating the electric force between charges?

The equation for calculating the electric force between two charges is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between the two charges.

4. How does the distance between two charges affect the electric force between them?

The electric force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the electric force between two charges be negative?

Yes, the electric force between two charges can be negative if the charges are of opposite signs (one positive and one negative). A negative force indicates an attractive force between the two charges.