DNA being carried by each chromosome

• Thread starter leah3000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of DNA and chromatids within cells. The speaker is confused about the relationship between DNA and chromosomes, specifically in terms of 4n and 2n cell phases. Another person explains that in Interphase, each chromatid has one molecule of DNA, and in Anaphase, the cell goes from 4n to 2n by distributing the DNA to daughter cells. The conversation ends with confirmation that 2n refers to diploid cells and 4n refers to doubling of DNA for cell division.
leah3000
Hi

I'm a little bit confused in terms of the DNA being carried by each chromosome.

When the cell is described as 4n in Interphase; with 4 copies of each DNA molecule, does this mean that each chromatid has 1 molecule of DNA? Hence, allowing 2molecules of DNA per chromosome?

Also can someone explain how the cell goes from 4n to 2n in Anaphase?

Biology news on Phys.org

Yes one chromatid is an entire double helix by itself. from 4n to 2n, well since you already mentioned anaphase, don't you think you know the answer already

ok...I think I was looking at the diagrams and sort of confused myself. Now that I think about it 4n would just mean doubling the DNA so that the cell can divide into 2 daughter cells. It wouldn't necessarily mean 2 chromosomes which would give the 4 DNA molecules.

So then 2n would just mean the DNA distributed to the daughter cells...is that correct?

yeah you got it, the n vs 2n thing is just a haploid vs diploid thing

cool. Thanks very much for your help:approve:

1. What is DNA?

DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is a molecule that contains the genetic instructions for the development and functioning of all living organisms.

2. How is DNA carried by each chromosome?

DNA is organized into structures called chromosomes, which are found in the nucleus of a cell. Each chromosome contains long strands of DNA that are tightly coiled and packaged, allowing for the storage and transmission of genetic information.

3. How many chromosomes are in a human cell?

Most human cells contain a total of 46 chromosomes, with 23 inherited from each parent. These chromosomes are grouped into 23 pairs, with one chromosome from each pair coming from the mother and the other from the father.

4. What is the relationship between DNA and genes?

Genes are specific sequences of DNA that contain the instructions for producing proteins, which are essential for the structure and function of cells. DNA contains the entire genetic blueprint for an organism, while genes are particular segments of DNA that code for specific traits or characteristics.

5. Can DNA be altered or changed?

Yes, DNA can be altered through mutations or changes in the genetic code. These mutations can occur spontaneously, or they can be caused by external factors such as environmental exposure or errors during DNA replication. However, most mutations are harmless and do not have a significant impact on an organism's traits or abilities.