AP Calculus AB and BC: Appropriate Book?

In summary, the conversation is about the appropriateness of using Richard Courant's Differential and Integral Calculus Volumes 1 and 2 for studying AP Calculus AB and BC. The original poster is concerned about spending money on expensive books and is asking for recommendations. Another person suggests using Michael Kelley's "Master the AP Calculus AB and BC Tests" which is more affordable and easier to read.
courtrigrad
Hello all

I was just wondering whether Richard Courant's Differential and Integral Calculus Volumes 1 and 2 would be appropriate for studying AP Calculus AB and BC. Would I be able to learn most of the topics covered in these courses just by using these books? I am asking this, because I do not want to spend money on big, modern, and expensive books.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
My recommendation would be Michael Kelley's "Master the AP Calculus AB and BC Tests". It should sell for around $20 or less. (about $13.27 from Amazon.com plus shipping).

Michael Kelley's a lot more readable than the average author of math books.

for your question! The Richard Courant books are definitely a classic choice for studying calculus and have been used by many students over the years. However, AP Calculus AB and BC cover a wide range of topics and it is important to have a comprehensive and up-to-date textbook that covers all the material in a clear and organized manner. While the Courant books may cover most of the topics, they may not have the same level of detail and practice problems specifically tailored to the AP exams. Additionally, the AP exams often have multiple-choice questions and free response questions that require specific strategies and techniques, which may not be covered in the Courant books.

In my opinion, it would be beneficial to supplement the Courant books with a more modern and comprehensive textbook that is specifically designed for AP Calculus. This will ensure that you have all the necessary resources and support to fully prepare for the exams. While it may seem like a larger investment upfront, it will ultimately save you time and potentially improve your performance on the exams. Additionally, many schools and libraries have access to online resources and e-books, which can be a more cost-effective option.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you and your learning style. If you feel confident in your ability to navigate the material and supplement with additional resources, the Courant books may be a good choice. However, if you prefer a more structured and comprehensive approach, I would recommend investing in a modern textbook specifically designed for AP Calculus. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the difference between AP Calculus AB and BC?

AP Calculus AB covers the fundamentals of calculus including limits, derivatives, and integrals. AP Calculus BC builds upon this knowledge and covers more advanced topics such as infinite series, polar coordinates, and vector calculus.

2. What topics should be covered in an appropriate book for AP Calculus AB and BC?

An appropriate book for AP Calculus AB and BC should cover topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, techniques of integration, and series and sequences. It should also include practice problems and sample exams to prepare for the AP exams.

3. Are there any specific books recommended by the College Board for AP Calculus AB and BC?

The College Board does not endorse or recommend any specific books for AP Calculus AB and BC. However, they do provide a list of suggested textbooks that cover the required topics for the AP exams.

4. Can I use the same book for both AP Calculus AB and BC?

Yes, it is possible to use the same book for both AP Calculus AB and BC as long as it covers all the required topics for both exams. However, some students may find it helpful to supplement with additional resources for more practice and review.

5. What should I look for in a good AP Calculus AB and BC book?

A good AP Calculus AB and BC book should have clear explanations of the concepts, a variety of practice problems with step-by-step solutions, and sample exams with detailed explanations. It should also align with the current AP Calculus AB and BC curriculum and include any updates or changes made by the College Board.