Can You Calculate Lift Force for a RC Quad Rotor Helicopter?

In summary, the conversation is about designing an RC controlled quad rotor helicopter and possibly making it autonomous. The question is how to calculate the lift force from a single motor, to which the response is that motors do not generate lift, but rather rotors do. The speaker suggests doing this experimentally or using data from RC manufacturer websites. The conversation concludes with a link to a website containing performance data for RC helicopters.
ukesh
Hello!
I'm planning to start a project to design a RC controlled quad rotor helicopter. If it works out well I have an idea of making it autonomous. So first thing is that I want to know how to calculate the lift force from a single motor ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Motors don't generate lift, rotors do. :wink:

It's easier said than done, so I would suggest you do this experimentally and/or using performance data from RC manufacturer websites.

Cyrus said:
Motors don't generate lift, rotors do. :wink:

It's easier said than done, so I would suggest you do this experimentally and/or using performance data from RC manufacturer websites.

Thanks for correcting me:smile:
What is the experimental procedure? Or can u point me to websites containing this data? I tried searching but I ended up with only RC planes stuff.

ukesh said:
Thanks for correcting me:smile:
What is the experimental procedure? Or can u point me to websites containing this data? I tried searching but I ended up with only RC planes stuff.

http://www.aerodyndesign.com/ANALYSIS/ANALYSIS.htm" . Check out the Excel file link after the "Helicopter Performance Analysis" section. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello there!

Calculating the lift force for a RC quad rotor helicopter is certainly possible, but it can be a complex process as there are many variables that can affect the lift force. Some of these variables include the size and shape of the rotor blades, the speed and angle of the rotors, and the air density.

To calculate the lift force, you will need to use the basic principles of aerodynamics and Newton's laws of motion. This will involve determining the amount of air being moved by the rotors and the force exerted on the air by the rotors. This force is then countered by the weight of the helicopter, resulting in the lift force.

One way to calculate the lift force is to use the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the speed of a fluid (in this case, air) increases, the pressure decreases. This means that the faster the rotors spin, the lower the air pressure above the blades, resulting in a difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the blades. This pressure difference creates lift.

Another approach is to use the blade element theory, which takes into account the shape and angle of each individual rotor blade. This theory breaks down the blade into smaller sections and calculates the lift force for each section, which is then summed up to determine the total lift force.

There are also various online calculators and software programs available that can help you calculate the lift force for your specific RC quad rotor helicopter design. However, keep in mind that these calculations are only estimates and may vary in real-world conditions.

In addition to calculating the lift force, it is also important to consider other factors such as weight distribution, center of gravity, and stability in order to design a successful RC quad rotor helicopter.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and hope that this information helps you in your design process. Happy flying!

1. How is lift force calculated?

The lift force can be calculated using the equation: L = 1/2 * ρ * V^2 * A * CL, where L is the lift force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity of the fluid, A is the surface area of the object, and CL is the coefficient of lift for the specific object.

2. What is the relationship between lift force and airspeed?

As airspeed increases, so does the lift force. This is because the lift force is directly proportional to the square of the airspeed, as seen in the lift equation (L = 1/2 * ρ * V^2 * A * CL). As the airspeed increases, the lift force also increases at a faster rate.

3. How does the shape of an object affect the lift force?

The shape of an object affects the lift force through the coefficient of lift (CL) in the lift equation. Different shapes and designs of objects will have different values for CL, which directly impacts the amount of lift force generated. Objects with a streamlined shape, such as an airplane wing, will have a higher CL and therefore generate more lift force compared to objects with a less streamlined shape.

4. Is the lift force the same for all objects?

No, the lift force is not the same for all objects. The lift force depends on various factors such as the density of the fluid, velocity of the fluid, surface area of the object, and the coefficient of lift for the specific object. Therefore, different objects will have different lift forces depending on these factors.

5. Can lift force be negative?

Yes, lift force can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the lift force is opposite to the direction of motion of the object. For example, in the case of an airplane flying upside down, the lift force will be directed downwards, resulting in a negative lift force. Negative lift force can also occur when an object is being pushed down by a fluid, such as a ship being pushed down by water waves.