Determining the transfer function

In summary: J s^2 + B s + K}Then, to relate it to the input F and output x, we can use the relation F=m \ddot{x} and the fact that the Laplace transform of a derivative is s times the Laplace transform of the function:F(s) = m s^2 x(s)So we can write the transfer function in terms of the input F and output x:\frac{x(s)}{F(s)} = \frac{1}{m s^2} \cdot \frac{\theta(s)}{T(s)} = \frac{1}{m(J s^2 + B s + K)}
grothem

Homework Statement

Determine the transfer function between output x and input F for the following mass-spring system. (see attached image)

Homework Equations

F=ma
Inertia, T = J [tex]\alpha[/tex]
Rotational Damper, T=B [tex]\omega[/tex]
Rotational Spring, T=K [tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble relating the rotational forces to F.
F=m [tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]

k so I guess the latex equations aren't coming out right.

but basically, T = J [tex]\ddot{[tex]\theta[/tex]}[/tex] + B[tex]\dot{[tex]\theta[/tex]}[/tex] + K [tex]\theta[/tex]
The sum of all forces, including inertial forces must equal zero, and I need to convert to the laplace domain to get X(s)/F(s), but how does T fit into that?

Attachments

• controls problem.JPG
    controls problem.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to consider making a free body diagram for each component. It should be seen that T=ma for starters.

grothem said:

Homework Statement

Determine the transfer function between output x and input F for the following mass-spring system. (see attached image)

Homework Equations

F=ma
Inertia, T = J [tex]\alpha[/tex]
Rotational Damper, T=B [tex]\omega[/tex]
Rotational Spring, T=K [tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble relating the rotational forces to F.
F=m [tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]

k so I guess the latex equations aren't coming out right.

but basically, T = J [tex]\ddot{[tex]\theta[/tex]}[/tex] + B[tex]\dot{[tex]\theta[/tex]}[/tex] + K [tex]\theta[/tex]
The sum of all forces, including inertial forces must equal zero, and I need to convert to the laplace domain to get X(s)/F(s), but how does T fit into that?

You have already your differential equation:

T = J [tex]\ddot{\theta} + B\dot{\theta} + K\theta[/tex]

Now apply the Laplace transform to obtain the transfer function in rotational variables:

[tex]\frac{\theta(s)}{T(s)}[/tex]

1. What is a transfer function?

The transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different inputs and can be used to analyze and design control systems.

2. How is the transfer function determined?

The transfer function can be determined by taking the Laplace transform of the differential equations that govern the system. This transforms the equations into an algebraic form, which can then be rearranged to find the transfer function.

3. What is the importance of determining the transfer function?

Determining the transfer function is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and performance of a system. It can also be used to design controllers that can improve the system's response to different inputs.

4. Can the transfer function change over time?

Yes, the transfer function can change over time if the system parameters or inputs change. This is why it is important to analyze and adjust the transfer function to ensure optimal system performance.

5. What are the limitations of using transfer functions?

Transfer functions are only applicable to linear time-invariant (LTI) systems, meaning the system's response is dependent on the input and is not affected by time. They also assume no external disturbances or noise in the system. Additionally, transfer functions can only represent systems with a finite number of inputs and outputs.