What is the logic behind L'Hopital's Rule?

In summary, L'Hopital's Rule is a shortcut for finding the limit of a function by using the Taylor series approximations of the function and its derivative. It can be proven using epsilons and deltas and is similar to other derivative and integral formulae. It states that the limit of a fraction of two functions can be found by taking the limit of the fraction of their derivatives.
CartoonKid
Can anyone tell me, what is the rationale behind L'Hopital's Rule? I just know that how to use it but don't know why it is logic.

Physics news on Phys.org
its not any logic ... it has good enough proof ...
try proving it if u want ... shouldn't be hard ...
it should give u a good rundown on all the properties of limits :)

-- AI

CartoonKid said:
Can anyone tell me, what is the rationale behind L'Hopital's Rule? I just know that how to use it but don't know why it is logic.

It's possible to prove the various versions of L'Hopital's rule using epsilons and deltas. It's really, more or less, a shortcut like all of the derivative and integral formulae.

One easy way to think of L'Hopital's rule in its most usual form, is to consider the Taylor series approximations of the two functions:
Suppose a function [tex]f(x)\approx{f}(a)+f'(a)(x-a)[/tex]
in a neighbourhood of x=a. (This is a first-order Taylor-approx.)
Similarly, we have a function [tex]g(x)\approx{g}(a)+g'(a)(x-a)[/tex]
Hence we have that [tex]h(x)=\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\approx\frac{f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)}{g(a)+g'(a)(x-a)}[/tex]
in the same neighbourhood.
We are interested in [tex]\lim_{x\to{a}}h(x)[/tex]
Furthermore, we assume f(a)=g(a)=0, that is:
[tex]h(x)\approx\frac{f'(a)}{g'(a)}[/tex] close enough.
L'Hopital's rule states that this is, in fact the limit of h(x) as x goes to a.

Last edited:
Thank you all of you for your contribution. Finally, I got it.

What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that for certain functions, the limit of the ratio of their derivatives is equal to the limit of the original function.

When should I use L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule should be used when evaluating limits that result in indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It can also be used when evaluating limits of trigonometric functions or logarithmic functions.

Is L'Hopital's Rule always applicable?

No, L'Hopital's Rule is not always applicable. It can only be used when the limit involves indeterminate forms and when the conditions for the rule are met. If these conditions are not met, the rule cannot be applied.

What are the conditions for using L'Hopital's Rule?

The conditions for using L'Hopital's Rule are as follows:

• The limit must result in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞.
  • The functions in the limit must be differentiable in a neighborhood of the limit point.
  • The limit of the ratio of the derivatives of the functions must exist or be infinite.
  • The limit of the original functions must not change when the limit point is approached.

How do I apply L'Hopital's Rule?

To apply L'Hopital's Rule, follow these steps:

1. Determine if the limit results in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞.
  2. Check if the conditions for the rule are met.
  3. If the conditions are met, take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately.
  4. Simplify the resulting ratio and evaluate the limit.
  5. If the limit still results in an indeterminate form, continue applying L'Hopital's Rule until the limit can be evaluated.