Infinite series: nth-term test

In summary, the conversation discusses a test for divergence in infinite series, where if the limit of the terms in the series is not equal to zero, then the series diverges. However, the confusion arises when considering the example of a series with a limit of 1, which would seem to contradict the test. It is clarified that the test looks at the limit of the terms in the series, not the partial sums, and that the example given has a limit of 0, making the test inconclusive. It is then concluded that the series converges.
FancyNut
I'm reading How to Ace the Rest of Calculus and on page 31 there's a test for divergence that says if the limit (as n goes to infinity) of a_n is NOT equal to zero, then the infinite series [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] (that goes from n = 1 to infinity) diverges.

3 pages before that, on 28, there's an example on a series that converges to 1... The sum is represented by [tex]S_n = (2^n - 1)/2^n[/tex]

I'm confused here: since taking the limit of that [tex]S_n[/tex] equals to 1... shouldn't the series diverge? Come to think of it I know I'm missing something here because as I understand it according to that test ANY series that has a limit to any number but 0 diverges which makes no sense. I know that test does nor work in reverse btw (limit going to 0 doesn't mean it converges) but this still sounds like all series convergence must go to 0... which I know is wrong. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You are confusing [tex]a_{n}[/tex] with [tex]S_{n}[/tex]
[tex]a_{n}[/tex] is just some sequence of numbers, while [tex]S_{n}[/tex] is the sum of the first n [tex]a_{j} (j=1,2...n)[/tex]
Was that clear enough?

With the divergence test you look at the limit of the terms in your series, the [tex]a_n[/tex]'s. This is different from the limit of the partial sums, the [tex]S_n[/tex]'s. Note [tex]S_n=\sum_{i=1}^{n}a_i[/tex] and we define [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}a_i=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}S_n[/tex]

The example you gave, the partial sums [tex]S_n = (2^n - 1)/2^n[/tex], came from the terms [tex]a_n=1/2^n[/tex]. Here [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}a_n=0[/tex] so the divergence test is inconclusive. The partial sums converge to 1, so we say the series converges.

haha that was simple. :redface:

Thanks. :smile:

What is the nth-term test for infinite series?

The nth-term test, also known as the divergence test, is used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges by examining the behavior of the individual terms as n approaches infinity. If the limit of the terms as n approaches infinity does not equal zero, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to zero, further tests must be applied to determine convergence.

How do you apply the nth-term test to a series?

To apply the nth-term test, you must first find the general term of the series by examining the pattern of the terms. Then, take the limit of the general term as n approaches infinity. If the limit is equal to zero, the series may converge, but further tests are needed to confirm. If the limit is not equal to zero, the series diverges.

Can the nth-term test be used to determine absolute convergence?

No, the nth-term test only determines whether a series converges or diverges, not whether it converges absolutely. To determine absolute convergence, the comparison test or ratio test must be applied.

What are some limitations of the nth-term test?

The nth-term test can only be applied to series with positive terms. It also cannot be used to determine absolute convergence. Additionally, the limit of the terms as n approaches infinity may be equal to zero, indicating convergence, but the series may still diverge by other convergence tests such as the integral test or alternating series test.

How does the nth-term test compare to other convergence tests?

The nth-term test is a basic and often the first test used to determine convergence or divergence of a series. It is relatively easy to apply, but it has limitations as mentioned above. Other tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, and root test may be more effective in determining convergence or divergence of more complex series.