Chinese Remainder Theorem (I think?)

In summary, the solution to the given system of congruences can be found by using the Chinese Remainder Theorem, which involves calculating the product of the moduli, finding the inverses of each modulus, and using a formula to find the solution x.
PhDorBust
Given system of congruences,

[tex]x^3 \equiv y_1 \mod n_1[/tex]
[tex]x^3 \equiv y_2 \mod n_2[/tex]
[tex]x^3 \equiv y_3 \mod n_3[/tex]

You are given [tex]y_1, y_2, y_3, n_1, n_2, n_3[/tex]. The [tex]n_i[/tex]'s are pairwise relatively prime. Solve for x.

I think there might be a connection between the fact that the exponent of x is 3 and there are 3 congruences given. But I haven't the slightest idea how to approach.

For each of them you also know there exists a d such that [tex]y_i^d \equiv x \mod n_i[/tex] but I don't think that is so useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to this system of congruences can be found using the Chinese Remainder Theorem (CRT). This theorem states that, given any two relatively prime integers and a pair of congruences with those moduli, there exists a unique solution for the congruences. Furthermore, if there are more than two congruences with pairwise relatively prime moduli, then there is a unique solution for all of them. Therefore, in this case, since the moduli n_1, n_2, and n_3 are relatively prime, the CRT can be used to find a unique solution for the system of congruences. To apply the CRT, first calculate the product of the moduli, i.e. n = n_1n_2n_3. Then, for each modulus n_i, calculate the inverse of n/n_i modulo n_i. That is, find an integer d_i such that (n/n_i)d_i \equiv 1 \mod n_i. Finally, the solution x to the system of congruences is given by the formula:x \equiv \sum_{i=1}^3 y_i(n/n_i)d_i \mod n.

What is the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem is a mathematical theorem that provides a solution to a system of congruences, or equations with remainders. It states that if the divisors in the system are pairwise relatively prime, then there exists a unique solution that is congruent to the system.

How does the Chinese Remainder Theorem work?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem works by breaking down a system of congruences into smaller, more manageable parts. It uses the Chinese Remainder Theorem algorithm to find the solutions to these smaller parts, and then combines them to find the solution to the original system.

What is the significance of the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem has many applications in mathematics, computer science, and cryptography. It can be used to efficiently solve systems of linear equations, to find solutions to large integer problems, and to improve the efficiency of algorithms in computer science.

What are the limitations of the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem only applies to systems of congruences with pairwise relatively prime divisors. If the divisors are not relatively prime, the theorem cannot be used. Additionally, the theorem only provides a solution if the system is consistent, meaning that a solution exists.

How is the Chinese Remainder Theorem used in cryptography?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem is used in cryptography to improve the efficiency of algorithms for encrypting and decrypting messages. It allows for faster calculations and more efficient use of resources. It is also used in the creation of public-key cryptosystems, such as the RSA algorithm.