Finding coefficient of thermal expansion and isothermal compressibility

In summary, the conversation discusses the Bertholet equation of state and its application to 500 grams of ammonia at a pressure of 3.04 atm and a temperature of 323K. The volume of ammonia is calculated using the equation and compared to the ideal gas law. The expressions for the coefficient of thermal expansion and isothermal compressibility are also obtained and evaluated at the given conditions. The issue of incorrect units is addressed and corrected.
osker246

Homework Statement

To a very good approximation, ammonia obeys the Bertholet equation of state,
which readsPV=nRT+[itex]\frac{9}{128}[/itex]([itex]\frac{nRTc}{Pc}[/itex])(1-6[itex]\frac{Tc^2}{T^2}[/itex])Pa)Suppose we have 500 grams of ammonia under a pressure of P=3.04 atm
and at T=323K. Calculate the volume of ammonia according to the
Bertholet equation of state and compare to the result predicted by the ideal
gas law.

b)Assuming ammonia obeys the Bertholet equation of state obtain
expressions for the coefficient of thermal expansion[itex]\beta[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{V}[/itex]([itex]\frac{dV}{dT}[/itex])p and the isothermal compressibility [itex]\kappa[/itex]=[itex]\frac{-1}{V}[/itex]([itex]\frac{dV}{dP}[/itex])T (note: these are partial derivatives at constant P and T). Evaluate β and κ for 500 grams of ammonia at P=3.04 atm and at T=323K.

c)Using your results from part b, calculate ([itex]\frac{dU}{dV}[/itex])T and ([itex]\frac{dH}{dP}[/itex])T for 500 grams of ammonia at P-3.04 atm and T=323K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I found the answer to part A which was 0.251 m^3 using Bertholet eqn. of state and 0.256 m^3 using ideal gas law.

Now I am not sure about part B. I have a feeling I can accomplish this buy simply solving for volume with Bertholet eqn. of state (or ideal gas law) and simply evaluating the derivative at that point; with T being my variable for beta and P being the variable for kappa. Is that the proper way to evaluate beta and kappa in this situation? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is something wrong with your units.

Using PV = nRT, I calculate V = 0.256 cubic meters for 500 grams of NH3 at 3.04 atm and 323 K. Have you used the correct R value?

Ahh yes I forgot to convert pressure into Pascals. Thanks for the heads up.

1. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion?

The coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of how much a material's volume changes as its temperature changes. It is typically denoted by the symbol α and has units of 1/°C (or sometimes 1/K).

2. How is the coefficient of thermal expansion measured?

The coefficient of thermal expansion is typically measured using a dilatometer, which is a specialized instrument that can accurately measure changes in a material's volume as its temperature changes. This is usually done by heating or cooling the material and recording its change in length.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of thermal expansion?

The coefficient of thermal expansion is affected by various factors, including the chemical composition of the material, its crystal structure, and its temperature range. Generally, materials with weaker bonds (such as metals) tend to have higher coefficients of thermal expansion, while materials with stronger bonds (such as ceramics) tend to have lower coefficients of thermal expansion.

4. What is isothermal compressibility?

Isothermal compressibility is a measure of how much a material's volume changes as its pressure changes at a constant temperature. It is typically denoted by the symbol κ and has units of 1/Pa (or sometimes 1/bar).

5. How is isothermal compressibility related to the coefficient of thermal expansion?

Isothermal compressibility and coefficient of thermal expansion are related through the thermal expansion coefficient, which is the product of the isothermal compressibility and the material's bulk modulus (a measure of its resistance to compression). This relationship is expressed as α = -1/V x (∂V/∂P)T, where V is volume, P is pressure, and T is temperature.