Types of Skin Nerves: 8 Sensory Nerves & CT Network

• Thread starter Nim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skin
In summary, there are multiple types of sensory nerves present in our skin including touch-lightly, touch-pressure, vibration, heat, cold, pain, itch, and tickle. Recently, a nerve called the CT Network was discovered that may be involved in cuddling. These nerves have official names and can be found on informative websites such as BBC News and L'Oreal Skin Science. Additionally, there are 2500 receptors per square centimeter on our fingertips and a search for "skin nerves" may lead to a more comprehensive site.
Nim
How many different kinds of sensory nerves are there present in our skin? I've heard of touch-lightly, touch-pressure, vibration, heat, cold, pain, itch, and tickle. Not to long ago I think a nerve for cuddling was found. Something called the CT Network. Also, are there any official names for these kinds of nerves?

Biology news on Phys.org
Not cuddling, but a lover's car-
ress:

BBC NEWS | Health | Lover's touch is special
Address:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2158489.stm

This informative site has all the
official names of the different
types of skin nerves:

Protecting, sensing, repairing: Nerves near the surface of the skin
Address:http://www.loreal.com/loreal-skin-science/us/proteger/organe.asp

-Zoobyshoe

There are 2500 receptors per
square centimeter on your finger
tips!

Last edited:
It has a few of the nerves listed there. But I don't think it has them all. I've never heard of those though, thanx.

I searched "skin nerves". Try it
and you may come up with a more
comprehensive site.

Last edited:

1. What is the role of sensory nerves in the skin?

Sensory nerves in the skin are responsible for detecting various sensations such as touch, pressure, temperature, and pain. They transmit this information to the brain, allowing us to perceive and respond to our surroundings.

2. How many types of sensory nerves are found in the skin?

There are 8 types of sensory nerves found in the skin, each specialized in detecting specific sensations. These include Meissner's corpuscles for light touch, Merkel cells for pressure, Ruffini endings for stretching, and free nerve endings for pain and temperature.

3. What is the function of the CT network in the skin?

The CT (cutaneous) network is a network of sensory nerves that lies just beneath the skin's surface. Its main function is to detect light touch and pressure, providing information about the texture, shape, and movement of objects in contact with the skin.

4. Can sensory nerves in the skin regenerate?

Yes, sensory nerves in the skin have the ability to regenerate. This process is essential for maintaining their function and sensitivity to various sensations. However, the rate of regeneration may vary depending on the type of nerve and the extent of damage.

5. How do sensory nerves in the skin contribute to our overall health?

Sensory nerves in the skin play a crucial role in our overall health by helping us to avoid potential dangers and maintain proper body temperature. They also contribute to our sense of touch, which is essential for our daily activities and interactions with the environment.