Find the magnitude of acceleration along a curved path

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the magnitude of acceleration along a parametrized path at a given point, using the equation for the curve of the track in terms of theta. The individual also asks if it is possible to describe the motion in terms of time using this equation, and questions the method for finding the magnitude of acceleration.
docktadrey

Homework Statement

w1e8pf.png

First I was asked to parametrize the motion according to [itex]\theta[/itex] and I got
x: -cos [itex]\theta[/itex]+1 and y:-sin[itex]\theta[/itex]+1

Now, I have to find the magnitude of the acceleration along the path at a point given by [itex]\theta[/itex].
How do I do this?
Also, I only have figured out the equation for the curve of the track in terms of theta. Is there any way to describe the motion of the ball in terms of time using this equation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So normally, the acceleration would be the second derivative of the position function. So Would I just derive the position function twice to get the acceleration? How does this translate to the magnitude? The square root of the x component of the acceleration squared plus the y component squared?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure how to answer the second part of the question, is it possible to describe the motion in terms of time?

1. What is the definition of acceleration along a curved path?

Acceleration along a curved path is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time along the path of a curve.

2. How is acceleration along a curved path calculated?

Acceleration along a curved path can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the curve.

3. What units are used to measure acceleration along a curved path?

The units used to measure acceleration along a curved path are meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How does acceleration along a curved path differ from acceleration on a straight path?

Acceleration along a curved path differs from acceleration on a straight path because the direction of the acceleration is constantly changing on a curved path, whereas it remains constant on a straight path.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of acceleration along a curved path?

The magnitude of acceleration along a curved path is affected by the velocity of the object, the radius of the curve, and the mass of the object. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also affect the magnitude of acceleration along a curved path.