Hyperbolic sine in Taylor Series

In summary: The first term in the expansion of sinh(x+jy) will be e^xe^{iy}+ e^xe^{-iy}+ e^{-x}e^{-iy}=0The second term will be e^xe^{-iy}+ e^xe^{-x}=0
damo03
I am reading through a worked example of the Taylor series expansion of Sinh(z) about z=j*Pi

The example states: sinh(j*Pi)=cos(Pi)*Sinh(0) +jcosh(x)sin(y)

I am unsure of this relation. I understand why the x terms are zero but don't know the relation to expand sinh. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
damo03 said:
I am reading through a worked example of the Taylor series expansion of Sinh(z) about z=j*Pi

The example states: sinh(j*Pi)=cos(Pi)*Sinh(0) +jcosh(x)sin(y)
I recommend you go back and read the example again. What you write has a constant on the left and a function of y on the right. They cannot be equal. In fact it is not too hard to show that [itex]sinh(j\pi)= 0[/itex].

Do you mean [itex]sinh(j(y+ \pi))[/itex]?

I am unsure of this relation. I understand why the x terms are zero but don't know the relation to expand sinh. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers.

The example asks: Calculate directly the first two non-zero terms in the Taylor Series expansion of sinh(z) about z=j*[itex]\pi[/itex]

The first step showin is to calculate the two non-zero terms in the Taylor series expansion of sinh(z) about z=j*[itex]\pi[/itex]

f(z)=sinh(z) , Z0=j*[itex]\pi[/itex]

Sinh(j*[itex]\pi[/itex])

sinh(x+jy)=cos(y)*sinh(x)+jcosh(x)sin(y) (in this case x=0, y=[itex]\pi[/itex])

It's the above line that I don't understand (how they expand sinh)...

The worked example then goes on to show that sinh(x+jy)=cos(Pi)*sinh(0)+jcosh(0)sin(Pi)

which does indeed =-1*0 + j*1*0 = 0

but that one line expansion of sinh is where i am lost.

You can go from the left side to the right side by "adding and subtracting" the appropriat things but to see what those things should be, it is simplest to work with the right side.
[tex]cos(y)sinh(x)+ i cosh(x)sin(y)= \frac{e^{iy}+ e^{-iy}}{2}\frac{e^x- e^{-x}}{2}+ i\frac{e^x+ e^{-x}}{2}\frac{e^{iy}- e^{-iy}}{2i}[/tex]
The "i" in the numerator and the "i" in the denominator in the second term will cancel. (Sorry about writing "i" instead of "j"- I just can't stop myself!)
The denominators of course will be 4. Multiplying out the numerators,
[tex]e^xe^{iy}+ e^{x}e^{iy}- e^{-x}e^{iy}- e^{-x}e^{-iy}[/tex]
for the first term and
[tex]e^xe^{iy}- e^xe^{-iy}+ e^{-x}e^{iy}- e^{-x}e^{-iy}[/tex]
for the second term.
Now, observe what terms add and what terms cancel.

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, using the function's derivatives at a single point.

2. What is the hyperbolic sine function?

The hyperbolic sine function, denoted as sinh(x), is a mathematical function that maps real numbers to their corresponding hyperbolic sine value. It is related to the regular sine function, but has a different curve.

3. How is the hyperbolic sine function calculated in a Taylor series?

The Taylor series for hyperbolic sine is given by: sinh(x) = x + (x^3)/3! + (x^5)/5! + (x^7)/7! + ... + (x^(2n+1))/(2n+1)! + ... This series can be used to approximate the value of sinh(x) for any real number x.

4. What is the significance of using a Taylor series to approximate the hyperbolic sine function?

Using a Taylor series allows us to approximate the value of the hyperbolic sine function with increasing accuracy by adding more terms to the series. This is useful in situations where the exact value of the function may be difficult to calculate, or when only an approximation is needed.

5. Can the Taylor series for hyperbolic sine be used for complex numbers?

Yes, the Taylor series for hyperbolic sine can be extended to complex numbers, and can be used to approximate the value of sinh(z) for any complex number z. However, the series may converge more slowly for complex numbers compared to real numbers.