Magnetic field and force due to it in pipe carrying current.

In summary, a magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt, created by the movement of electric charges. In a pipe carrying current, the magnetic field is created by the flow of electrons and is perpendicular to the direction of the current flow. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current. It can also affect objects outside of the pipe through interactions with other magnetic fields and objects.
vkash
there is hollow cylinder of radii R carrying current I from one end of cylinder to another point.I mean it is not in circular path it is in straight line.
(1) Is there any magnetic field at the cylinder?
(2) What is magnetic field at any point inside cylinder.
(3) does it feel any pressure due to magnetic field whose origin is it's own current.

My answers

(1) Yes that is (μI)/(2πR)
Here i am confused as it is border line of two regions one is filled with magnetic field and other is without magnetic field.

(2)That should zero. Using ampere circuital loop.
I ask this because it is interconnected to first question

(3) I think no.(not sure). Magnetic field at this point should in circular loop. Making an angle of of 0 radian so magnetic force becomes zero. => pressure=0.

Please tell me where am i correct and where am i wrong.
thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org

(1) Yes, there will be a magnetic field at the cylinder. The magnetic field is given by the formula μ0I/(2πR), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and R is the radius of the cylinder. This magnetic field will exist throughout the cylinder, not just at the border between two regions.

(2) Inside the cylinder, the magnetic field will be zero. This is because the magnetic field inside a hollow cylinder carrying current is zero, as given by the Ampere's Law. This is true for any point inside the cylinder, not just at the border between two regions.

(3) The cylinder will not experience any pressure due to its own magnetic field. This is because the magnetic field inside the cylinder is zero, so there is no force acting on the cylinder. The origin of the magnetic field is the current flowing through the cylinder, but since the magnetic field inside the cylinder is zero, there will be no pressure on the cylinder.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons.

2. How is a magnetic field created in a pipe carrying current?

A magnetic field is created in a pipe carrying current due to the movement of electric charges, specifically the flow of electrons through the wire. The moving charges create a circular magnetic field around the wire.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field in a pipe carrying current?

The direction of the magnetic field in a pipe carrying current is perpendicular to the direction of the current flow, following the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field change with the current in a pipe?

The strength of the magnetic field in a pipe carrying current is directly proportional to the current. This means that as the current increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases.

5. Can the magnetic field in a pipe carrying current affect objects outside of the pipe?

Yes, the magnetic field in a pipe carrying current can affect objects outside of the pipe. This is because the magnetic field created by the current can interact with other magnetic fields and objects, causing them to move or experience a force.