How do we locate the principal axis?

• Thread starter JimmyRay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis
In summary, the conversation discusses the rules for light passing through a convex lens and explains why it is called a converging lens. It also briefly mentions a lab on concave lenses and the difference in light behavior between convex and concave lenses. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the others for their help and mentioning that they are now moving on to the next topic of thin lens equations.
JimmyRay
Hi guys we got a lab today and I have to answer a few questions...

I want to make sure my answers are correct...

Convex Lenses
1. How do we locate the principal axis?
We locate the principal axis by directing a beam to the middle of the lens (what is this called? optical center?) perpendicular to the surface. (why does the beam not refract again?)

2. State three rules that describe the path that light takes through a Convex Lens.
If you send a ray perpendicular to the principal axis through the lens it will refract passing through the focal point. If you send a ray passing through the focal point diagonally towards the lens it will become perpendicular. If you send a ray diagonally through the middle of the lens .. it will hit the focal point? lol I don't know the third one...

3. Why is a convex lens called a converging lens?
A convex lens is called a converging lens because if you send rays which are parallel to the principal axis towards the lens they will all refract passing through the focal point and converging towards it.

Now there is another lab on Concave lenses, question 1 and 2 are the same but 3 asks why it is called a diverging lens... Question 1 will be the same answer, but... I don't really get number 2...

Basically having trouble with the rules... any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A ray which passes through the centre of the lens is undeflected.

"1. How do we locate the principal axis?
We locate the principal axis by directing a beam to the middle of the lens (what is this called? optical center?) perpendicular to the surface. (why does the beam not refract again?)"

The beam does not refract because of the symmetry of the lens. The beam is perpendicular to both faces of the lens.

"2. State three rules that describe the path that light takes through a Convex Lens.
If you send a ray perpendicular to the principal axis through the lens it will refract passing through the focal point. If you send a ray passing through the focal point diagonally towards the lens it will become perpendicular. If you send a ray diagonally through the middle of the lens .. it will hit the focal point? lol I don't know the third one..."
Again, because the lens is symmetric, any beam that goes through the center of the lens is undeflected.

"3. Why is a convex lens called a converging lens?
A convex lens is called a converging lens because if you send rays which are parallel to the principal axis towards the lens they will all refract passing through the focal point and converging towards it."

Yes.

"Now there is another lab on Concave lenses, question 1 and 2 are the same but 3 asks why it is called a diverging lens... Question 1 will be the same answer, but... I don't really get number 2..."
"If you send a ray perpendicular to the principal axis through the lens it will refract" and diverge away from the focal point (which is now on the same side of the lens as the light is coming from).
"If you send a ray" THAT WOULD PASS THROUGH THE FOCAL POINT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE LENS IF THE LENS WERE NOT THERE, "it will become perpendicular".
"A ray which passes through the centre of the lens is undeflected."

Thanks guys, I got the three rules eventually, it was due today lol... We're on to equation of a thin lens now, but yeah this was a good check.

1. How do we define the principal axis in a scientific context?

In science, the principal axis refers to the line or axis around which an object or system rotates or has symmetry. It is the axis that passes through the center of mass or the point of contact with another object.

2. What methods do we use to locate the principal axis?

The principal axis can be located using various methods, such as measuring the distribution of mass or using mathematical calculations based on the shape and dimensions of the object.

3. How does the principal axis affect an object's stability?

The principal axis plays a crucial role in determining an object's stability. If an object's center of mass is aligned with its principal axis, it will have greater stability and be less likely to tip over.

4. Can the principal axis change over time?

The principal axis of an object or system can change over time if there are external forces or torques acting on it. For example, the principal axis of a spinning top will change as it slows down and eventually comes to a stop.

5. How does the principal axis relate to the moment of inertia?

The principal axis and the moment of inertia are closely related. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around a given axis, and the principal axis is the axis around which the moment of inertia is the smallest or largest. In other words, the principal axis is the axis of rotation that requires the least or the most amount of force to rotate the object.