How to analytically prove a sum goes to zero

• Thread starter kahwawashay1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum Zero
In summary, a student attempted to use a proof to show the limit of a given expression was 0, but upon further analysis realized it was incorrect due to an indeterminate form. The professor suggested using L'Hopital's rule to find the limit, and the student was unsure if their question was valid or if the professor was wrong. The conversation ends with the expert summarizer explaining that the original proof was incorrect and suggesting the use of the integral test and L'Hopital's rule to properly prove the limit.
kahwawashay1
How would you analytically prove that:

[itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{m\rightarrow ∞}} [/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=1}_{m}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex])= 0 ?

The way I did it, I just proved that the greatest lower bound of [itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex] is 0, and so since the function is monotonically decreasing I proved that the limit of [itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex] is 0, so anything multiplied by 0 (like the limit of [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=1}_{m}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]) must also be 0.

My professor agreed with me.

But now that I look at it again, obviously it can't be right, because the limit of [itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=1}_{m}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex] as m goes to infinity is infinity, and 0 times infinity is indeterminate...

But my professor seems really smart and paid great attention to my work...is he wrong?

(My exact work was as follows):
[itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{m\rightarrow ∞}} [/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex][itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=1}_{m}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]) = [itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{m\rightarrow ∞}} [/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex])*[itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{m\rightarrow ∞}} [/itex]([itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=1}_{m}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex])
Let b be the greatest lower bound of [itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex]. If b=0, then:
[itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex]>0 for all m
Since b+ε cannot be a greatest lower bound, then:
0+ε>[itex]\frac{1}{N}[/itex] for some N
if m≥N, then f(N)≥[itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex], since the function is monotonically decreasing. So:
0+ε>f(N)>[itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex]>0
Therefore:
ε>[itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex]>0, where ε>0 can be made arbitrarily close to 0.
Therefore, by the squeeze theorem, the limit of [itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex] as m→∞ is 0.
Therefore,
[itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{m\rightarrow ∞}} [/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{m}[/itex])*[itex] \displaystyle{\lim_{m\rightarrow ∞}} [/itex]([itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n=1}_{m}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex])=0

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't analyzed your proof. However, the sum ~ ln(m), so the expression is ~ ln(m)/m -> 0

mathman said:
I haven't analyzed your proof. However, the sum ~ ln(m), so the expression is ~ ln(m)/m -> 0

Yes I know that but ln(m)→∞ as m→∞...so either way you have an indeterminate form...

Is my question stupid or does no one know the answer?

kahwawashay1 said:
Yes I know that but ln(m)→∞ as m→∞...so either way you have an indeterminate form...

"Indeterminate form" does not mean the expression does not have a limit, it just means that the limit, if it exists, cannot be found by directly plugging in "m = infinity" into your expression.

log(m)/m is indeterminate, but the value of the limit can be found using L'Hopital's rule.

Your original proof was incorrect, it seems, because you didn't actually evaluate the indeterminate form, you just figured out one part of the expression had the limit of zero and wrote that as the answer. In this case, zero happened to be the answer, but for different reasons.

To really prove the limit, you could use the integral test to put an upper bound on the sum, and then show the limit of the upper bound is zero (which will require you to use L'Hopital's rule). This is essentially what mathman told you to do.

1. How do you analytically prove that a sum goes to zero?

To analytically prove that a sum goes to zero, you can use various mathematical techniques such as induction, telescoping series, and limit theorems. These methods involve closely examining the terms of the sum and using algebraic manipulations to show that the sum approaches zero as the number of terms increases.

2. What is the significance of proving that a sum goes to zero?

Proving that a sum goes to zero is important in various areas of mathematics, such as calculus and analysis. It allows us to understand the behavior of infinite series and their convergence, which has applications in fields like finance, physics, and engineering.

3. Can you give an example of using induction to prove a sum goes to zero?

Yes, for example, if we have the sum 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... + 1/2^n, we can use induction to show that as n approaches infinity, the sum goes to zero. We first prove the base case for n=1, where the sum is 1. Then, assuming the statement is true for n=k, we can show that it is also true for n=k+1 by replacing 1/2^k with 1/2^(k+1) and simplifying the resulting expression. This shows that the statement holds for all natural numbers and the sum indeed approaches zero as n approaches infinity.

4. What is the role of limit theorems in proving a sum goes to zero?

Limit theorems, such as the squeeze theorem and the ratio test, provide useful tools for proving that a sum goes to zero. These theorems allow us to compare the given sum with known convergent or divergent series, and use their properties to determine the behavior of the given sum. This approach can be particularly useful when dealing with more complex series with varying terms.

5. Are there any special cases where a sum may not go to zero?

Yes, there are cases where a sum may not go to zero, even if it may seem so at first glance. For example, if the terms of the sum alternate between positive and negative values, the sum may oscillate and not approach a definite value. Additionally, if the terms of the sum do not decrease in magnitude, the sum may diverge instead of approaching zero. It is important to carefully analyze the terms and consider the properties of the series before attempting to prove that the sum goes to zero.