1st postulate of Special Relativity

In summary: There are 3 types of knowledge in the world, knowledge, understanding, and imagination.In summary, the conversation discusses the first postulate of Special Relativity and the relationship between mass, velocity, and kinetic energy. It also briefly mentions the use of LaTeX for posting equations.
Gamish
Hi. I will make this question small and simple, in fact, I will just give an analogy.

According to the first postulate of Special Relativity, if I was traveling at 100 MPH, and my mass was 100 KG. I was traveling past a friend named David, who's mass is 100 KG too. Then my Kinetic Energy is 99904.5. But, according to the first postulate of Special Relativity, in my own frame of reference, my KE is 0, and David's KE is 99904.5.

Thanks in advance, :tongue2:

There are 3 types of knowledge in the world, knowledge, understanding, and imagination.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gamish said:
Hi. I will make this question small and simple, in fact, I will just give an analogy.

According to the first postulate of Special Relativity, if I was traveling at 100 MPH, and my mass was 100 KG. I was traveling past a friend named David, who's mass is 100 KG too. Then my Kinetic Energy is 99904.5. But, according to the first postulate of Special Relativity, in my own frame of reference, my KE is 0, and David's KE is 99904.5.

Thanks in advance, :tongue2:

There are 3 types of knowledge in the world, knowledge, understanding, and imagination.
I didn't see a question there so I'm guessing you're asking if your conclusion is correct. Not quite. You say "Then my Kinetic Energy is 99904.5." You gave no units so I assume this is in Joules. Kinetic energy, K, is related to rest mass m0 by [itex]K = (\gamma - 1) m_0 c^2[/itex]. Your kinetic energy as measured by you is zero since your velocity relative to you is zero. Your kinetic energy as measured by him is [itex]K = (\gamma - 1) m_0 c^2[/itex]. Kinetic energy is a relative quantity in Newtonian mechanics as well as in speciak relativity.

Pete

yes, my main question was is kinetic energy by means of velocity relevant. I made this assumption my knowing the 1st postulate of SR. so, I am correct. If I was traveling at c, my K would be 0, and all abject around me would have infite K. This is all hypothetical, but yes, my question was is kinetic energy relevant just as time is. And yes, the result of the kE was in joules. :yuck: By the way, how do you stick those fancy looking equations into a posted message.

Thank you

Gamish

Gamish said:
By the way, how do you stick those fancy looking equations into a posted message.
If you click on the fancy equation you will see the LaTeX code that he typed.

Gamish said:
yes, my main question was is kinetic energy by means of velocity relevant. I made this assumption my knowing the 1st postulate of SR. so, I am correct. If I was traveling at c, my K would be 0, and all abject around me would have infite K. This is all hypothetical, but yes, my question was is kinetic energy relevant just as time is. And yes, the result of the kE was in joules. :yuck: By the way, how do you stick those fancy looking equations into a posted message.

Thank you

Gamish
According to special relativity as your speed approaches the speed of light your kinetic energy approaches infinity. If your speed equals the speed of light then your kinetic energy would be infinite. Since the kinetic energy must be finite it follows that your speed must be less than the speed of light. In SR it makes no sense to speak of a rest frame moving at the speed of light.

To put fancy equations in you use latex. To see how to do this place your pointer over and click your mouse button. You will then see what text to enter to form the equation you're looking at. There is a document around here somewhere which shows you how to post things like this, i.e. it describes the syntax.

Pete

Last edited:

What is the 1st postulate of Special Relativity?

The 1st postulate of Special Relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

How does the 1st postulate of Special Relativity relate to the concept of relativity?

The 1st postulate of Special Relativity is the foundation of the theory of relativity, which states that all physical laws and phenomena are relative and depend on the observer's frame of reference.

What is an example of the 1st postulate of Special Relativity in action?

An example of the 1st postulate of Special Relativity is the observation of time dilation, where time appears to move slower for objects in motion compared to stationary objects, as observed by different observers.

Why is the 1st postulate of Special Relativity important in modern physics?

The 1st postulate of Special Relativity revolutionized the understanding of space and time and led to the development of many important theories and concepts, such as the theory of relativity and the concept of spacetime.

Are there any exceptions to the 1st postulate of Special Relativity?

The 1st postulate of Special Relativity has been extensively tested and has not been found to have any exceptions. However, it does not apply to objects moving at extremely high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields, where the effects of General Relativity must be considered.