Drawing Modulus Graphs: Step-By-Step Guide with Examples

In summary, ln|3x-6| is a transformation of ln(x) 6 units to the right and a stretch by a scale factor of (1/3) along the x-axis. The graph also reflects across the asymptote at x=2, which is the point at which the function is undefined. This reflection occurs because ln|3x-6| is equivalent to ln(3x-6), which can only be positive for values of x greater than 2.
RCB

Homework Statement

how would I draw the graph
f(x) = ln|3x-6|

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the graph ln(3x-6) would be a transformation of ln(x) 6 units to the right and the stretch by scale factor (1/3) along the x-axis (i.e: divide all x co-ordiantes on ln(x-6) by 3)

However I then have to modulus the function 3x-6
I am NOT saying |f(x)| therefore I don't reflect in the x-axis
I am NOT saying f(|x|) therefore I don't reflect in the y-axis

Therefore how do I continue this transformation.

Apparently I reflect in the asymptote (which moved to x=2) BUT WHY?

Physics news on Phys.org
ln(x) and even ln|x| have asymptotes at x=0. In your new function, ln|3x-6|, where is it undefined? That is, when does 3x-6=0?

DivisionByZro said:
ln(x) and even ln|x| have asymptotes at x=0. In your new function, ln|3x-6|, where is it undefined? That is, when does 3x-6=0?

This happens when x = 2

are you saying for any modulus function i just equate the modulus bit to 0 and reflect it in that?

RCB said:
are you saying for any modulus function i just equate the modulus bit to 0 and reflect it in that?

No. If by any modulus function you really mean any function composed with an absolute value function, then no. |x| has no asymptotes, so you don't need to do that. My advice to you: find where your function intersects with the x and y axes (when y=0 and x=0, respectively), and find the asymptote (Which you've already done), determine if there are horizontal asymptotes (there could be), determine the concavity, then try to graph it.

ok but why do I reflect the graph above in the asymptotes ?

RCB said:

Homework Statement

how would I draw the graph
f(x) = ln|3x-6|

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the graph ln(3x-6) would be a transformation of ln(x) 6 units to the right
No it wouldn't. ln(3x - 6) = ln(3(x - 2)).

The translation (shift) to the right is by 2 units relative to the graph of y = ln(3x).
RCB said:
and the stretch by scale factor (1/3) along the x-axis (i.e: divide all x co-ordiantes on ln(x-6) by 3)

However I then have to modulus the function 3x-6
I am NOT saying |f(x)| therefore I don't reflect in the x-axis
I am NOT saying f(|x|) therefore I don't reflect in the y-axis

Therefore how do I continue this transformation.

Apparently I reflect in the asymptote (which moved to x=2) BUT WHY?

RCB said:
ok but why do I reflect the graph above in the asymptotes ?
ln(3x - 6) is defined only where 3x - 6 > 0
ln|3x - 6| is defined everywhere except where 3x - 6 = 0.

It might be helpful to sketch the graph of y = |3x - 6| and then use it to get the graph of y = ln|3x - 6|.

Mark44 said:
ln(3x - 6) is defined only where 3x - 6 > 0
ln|3x - 6| is defined everywhere except where 3x - 6 = 0.

It might be helpful to sketch the graph of y = |3x - 6| and then use it to get the graph of y = ln|3x - 6|.

Ok here's why I am confused
|ln(3x-6)| is a reflection of f(x) > 0 (for f(x) < 0) in the x-axis

ln(3|x| - 6) is a reflection of x > 0 (for x < 0) in the y-axis

but let's say we took the graph
|3x-6|
(3x-6) is defined EVERYWHERE (for ALL values of y)

so why would it be different here
sorry I seem to be slow :(

oh hold on
because |3x-6| is always positive, ln(u) is always positive, right?

jsmith613 said:
oh hold on
because |3x-6| is always positive, ln(u) is always positive, right?

|3x-6| is always non-negative, not quite always positive.

ln(u) is not defined if u ≤ 0. |3x-6| = 0 if x = 2 .

jsmith613 said:
Ok here's why I am confused
|ln(3x-6)| is a reflection of f(x) > 0 (for f(x) < 0) in the x-axis
I think I get what you're trying to say, but you're not saying it very well. Taking the absolute value reflects the part of the graph of y = ln(3x - 6) that is below the x-axis, across the x-axis.
jsmith613 said:
ln(3|x| - 6) is a reflection of x > 0 (for x < 0) in the y-axis
It's not useful to consider this function in your problem.
jsmith613 said:
but let's say we took the graph
|3x-6|
(3x-6) is defined EVERYWHERE (for ALL values of y)

so why would it be different here
sorry I seem to be slow :(

y = 3x - 6 = 3(x - 2) is a straight line with a slope of 3 and a y-intercept of -6. The line has an x-intercept at (2, 0).

The graph of y = |3x - 6| = 3|x - 2| is identical to the graph of y = 3(x - 2) for x >= 2. For x < 2, the graph of y = 3(x - 2) is reflected across the x-axis.

The graph of f(x) = ln|3(x - 2)| is defined everywhere except at x = 2.

I quickly skimmed through the posts to this thread and did not see the following way of looking at this problem.

ln(|3x-6|) = ln(|3| |x-2|) = ln(3) + ln(|x-2|)

|x-2| is symmetric w.r.t. the vertical line, x=2.

Take it from there.

SammyS said:
I quickly skimmed through the posts to this thread and did not see the following way of looking at this problem.

ln(|3x-6|) = ln(|3| |x-2|) = ln(3) + ln(|x-2|)

|x-2| is symmetric w.r.t. the vertical line, x=2.

Take it from there.

OK.
just to check I understand this for all any future problems:

|x| is the absolute value of x
if I took
|x|2 + 3|x| + 5
I then take the positive value of all y values.
this leads to a reflection in the y-axis because the f(x) x≥0 will be the same as x<0

for
|f(x)| the f(x) value for any -f(x) value is then mapped onto +f(x)
thus it is a reflection in the x axis

Now for a composite function:
f(x) = 3x+2
g(x) = ln(x)

Thus
gf(x) = ln(3x+2)
so, g(f(|x|)) = ln(|3x+2|)

Now the graph of
|3x+2| is symmetrical w.r.t the vertical line x = -2/3

now because ln|3x+2| is a composite function, we take the vertical line x = -2/3 to be the reflection point

so for simple any graph (even composite graph) EXCLUDING THOSE for ln(x) and ex:
e.g:
f(x) = 3x-2
g(x) = 3x2

fg(x) = 9x2 -2
so
|9x2 -2| would just involve reflecting negative fg(x) values in the x-axis
etc...

HOWEVER for ln(x) graphs of ex graphs, when I have a composite function and I mod. ONLY the linear function NOT the composite / exponential or logarithmic function I look for where the composite function IS NOT DEFINED and reflect the graph in that vertical line

THESE ARE RULES I WILL JUST LEARN
are they correct?

thanks

Last edited:
Instead of trying to memorize a bunch of rules, I think it would be better to have a basic understanding of what's going on.

For your example in the previous post, let's get rid of all the composite function stuff and just look at y = 9x2 - 2 and y = |9x2|. Bringing in composite functions needlessly complicates things.

The first graph can be obtained by sketching y = 9x2 (a parabola), and shifting it down by 2 units. The central part of this graph, between -√(2)/3 and +√(2)/3, lies below the x-axis. If x < -√(2)/3 or x > √(2)/3, the graph is above the x-axis.

To get the graph of y = |9x2| flip the central part of the graph, the part between x = -√(2)/3 and x = √(2)/3, across the x-axis. Voila, you're done!

This same process can be followed for an arbitrary function. To get the graph of y = |f(x)|, do this:

1. Sketch the graph of y = f(x)
2. If any parts of the graph are below the x-axis, reflect them across the x-axis to get the graph of y = |f(x)|. Any parts of the original graph that were above the x-axis don't get reflected.

1. What is a modulus graph?

A modulus graph is a type of graph that shows the relationship between the modulus of a material and the strain it experiences under different loads.

2. Why is it important to understand modulus graphs?

Modulus graphs are important because they provide valuable information about the strength and stiffness of a material. This information is crucial for engineers and scientists who need to design and select materials for various applications.

3. How do you create a modulus graph?

To create a modulus graph, you need to first collect data on the strain and stress of the material under different loads. Then, plot the stress on the y-axis and strain on the x-axis. Finally, connect the data points with a straight line to create the modulus graph.

4. What are some common examples of materials that have modulus graphs?

Some common examples of materials that have modulus graphs include metals, polymers, and ceramics. These materials are commonly used in construction, manufacturing, and other industries.

5. How can understanding modulus graphs help in material selection?

Understanding modulus graphs can help in material selection by providing information on the strength, stiffness, and elasticity of different materials. This knowledge can then be used to select the most suitable material for a specific application based on its performance under different loads.