Analytic proof of continuity, differentiability of trig. functions

In summary, the speaker is new to PF and is seeking help with a question related to the continuity and differentiability of trigonometric functions. They have completed a proof themselves but are uncomfortable with some elements, such as citing Euclidean geometry and not having rigorous proofs for certain identities. They would appreciate help from someone with a deeper understanding, particularly with providing proofs for the trig identities used. The speaker is interested in using Taylor series expansions, but this method is not currently available to them.
student10567
Since I am new to PF (hi!), before I go any further, I would like to

a) briefly note that this is an independent study question, and that its scope goes beyond that of a textbook question - i.e., I believe that this thread belongs here - and
b) also note that I am new to analysis and early in my calculus education, so I do not have an understanding of infinite series which is sufficiently developed for me to define trigonometric functions as series. I know that this precludes some of the easier options for doing what I am trying to.

---

I am interested in demonstrating (analytically, as much as possible) the continuity and differentiability of the trigonometric functions.

To that end, I completed a proof of these results myself (attachment); but some elements of this proof make me uncomfortable.

Among these are:

- I had to cite Euclidean geometry as the basis of my proof.
- I don't have rigorous proofs for many identities (including oddness/evenness of the functions).
- I feel unsure about my generalization of my work (p. 6 or so) from a closed range (0, 2∏) to ℝ.

If anyone with a deeper understanding of the trigonometric functions could help "proof-read", or - in particular - offer proofs of the trig identities used, I would be grateful.

- "student"

Attachments

• Continuity of Trigonometric Functions final.pdf
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,484
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you're interested in doing them analytically as mich as possible, then the natural way to solve it is to use the Taylor series expansions (preferably centered at 0) for the trig functions. (naturally because these functions are analytic).

I would like to use the Taylor series, but this method is essentially unavailable to me right now (note (b) at the top).

1. What is an analytic proof of continuity for trigonometric functions?

An analytic proof of continuity for trigonometric functions involves using the precise definitions of continuity and limits to show that a trigonometric function is continuous at a specific point or interval. This often involves using the epsilon-delta definition of limits and the properties of trigonometric functions to manipulate inequalities and show that the function approaches a specific value as the input approaches a given point.

2. How is continuity of trigonometric functions different from other types of functions?

The continuity of trigonometric functions is different from other types of functions because they involve circular functions that repeat in a periodic manner. This means that their behavior at one point or interval is often related to their behavior at other points or intervals. Additionally, some trigonometric functions are not continuous at certain points, such as the tangent function which has vertical asymptotes at certain values of the input.

3. What is the role of differentiability in proving continuity for trigonometric functions?

Differentiability is an important concept in proving continuity for trigonometric functions because a function must be differentiable at a point in order for it to be continuous at that point. This is because differentiability implies that the function is smooth and does not have any abrupt changes or discontinuities. Therefore, in order to show that a trigonometric function is continuous at a specific point, one must first show that it is differentiable at that point.

4. Can we use graphical representations to prove continuity and differentiability for trigonometric functions?

Yes, graphical representations can be used to aid in the proof of continuity and differentiability for trigonometric functions. By examining the graph of a trigonometric function, one can visually see its behavior and how it approaches a specific value at a given point. This can help in understanding how to manipulate the function using algebraic techniques to prove its continuity and differentiability.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when proving continuity and differentiability for trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases and exceptions when proving continuity and differentiability for trigonometric functions. For example, the absolute value of a trigonometric function may not be differentiable at certain points, even though the original function is. Additionally, some trigonometric functions, such as the cotangent function, are not differentiable at certain points or intervals. These exceptions must be taken into consideration when proving continuity and differentiability for trigonometric functions.