Geometry of a RailRoad Curve

In summary, the speaker is looking for help with improving the alignment of a curve on a railroad, and has already surveyed the existing geometry and created a function for a smooth alignment. However, the implementation is a challenge as the track alignment machine can only move the track tangentially and the speaker needs to know how much to move the track in both the x and y plane. They are seeking advice on finding the tangent vector and normal vector to the curve and using them to find the point of intersection and distance needed for the track alignment.
tomtomtom1
Hello all

I was hoping someone could help me with the following problem.

I work on the railroads and my task is to improve the alignment of a curve.

I have surveyed the existing geometry by going along the track and recording x, y, z co-ordinates at approx 1m intervals.

I have plotted these points and then I have created a function that creates a smooth alignment.

The problem is during the implementation.

What I mean is this; on the railroads we have a machine called a Track Alignment Machine which is a rectangular locomotive which sits on the track and picks the track up and moves it left or right and puts it back down depending on the required design alignment.

The Track Alignment Machine only moves the track at right angles to itself. So if the Track Alignment Machine was on a curve then every time the machine moves the track that movement whether it be left or right would be tangent to the curve.

My problem it that how I implement my design alignment i.e f(x) if I can only move the track tangentially . I know need to know how much to move the track in both the x and y plane.

Attached is a basic diagram of what I am referring to.

Any help will b greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Geometry Problem.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 310
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey tomtomtom1 and welcome to the forums.

Basically what you will have to do is find the tangent vector to the curve, then find the normal vector that gives you the perpendicular property and once you have the normal vector (or the equation for the line in two dimensions), then you find the intersection of the normal line with the curve and that will give you the point.

If you have the equation for the curve then you need to differentiate the curve and find the tangent at each point. In the case of B you use what the derivative at point B and for C you use the negative of the derivative since you are going backwards and not forwards.

As for the normal, you can use the relationship that m1m2 = -1 where m1 and m2 are the rates of change corresponding to y1 = m1x + c1 and y2 = m2x + c2. Since you have B = (x1,y1) and C = (x2,y2) you can then substitute these into find your m2 and c2 for both the B and C situations.

Then given a y = ax + c for your normal line and y = f(x) for your curve then make ax + c = f(x) and solve for x. If your curve is represented by the diagram accurately enough you will only get one solution called x = S.

Then for the distance you use the fact that d(A,B) = SQRT((xa - xb)^2 + (ya - yb)^2) where A is the point you have been given (B and C points in diagram) and B refers to the solution you found above (S,f(S)).

1. What is the purpose of a railroad curve?

Railroad curves are used to change the direction of a train's path and allow it to travel along a specific route. They also help to reduce the amount of land needed for railroad tracks, as they can be laid out in a more efficient manner.

2. How is the degree of curvature for a railroad curve determined?

The degree of curvature for a railroad curve is determined by the radius of the curve, which is measured from the center of the curve to the outer edge of the track. The smaller the radius, the sharper the curve and the higher the degree of curvature.

3. Why are railroad curves banked at an angle?

Railroad curves are banked at an angle to help reduce the amount of friction and wear on the tracks and train wheels. This also helps to prevent the train from derailing while travelling at high speeds.

4. What factors influence the design of a railroad curve?

The design of a railroad curve is influenced by several factors, including the train's speed and weight, the terrain and topography of the area, and the type of train and track being used. Safety and efficiency are also important considerations in the design process.

5. How do engineers ensure the safety of a railroad curve?

Engineers use a combination of design techniques, such as banking the curve and using appropriate radius and degree of curvature, to ensure the safety of a railroad curve. They also regularly inspect and maintain the tracks and trains to prevent any potential issues that could arise while travelling through a curve.