Help me figure this out please

• Thread starter jdub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the speaker is seeking help to figure out a court case where they are being sued for loaning their friend a 4 wheeler that struck someone in the road. They question the attorney's claim that the person was thrown 30 feet and provide information on the ATV's weight, driver's weight, and speed. They also ask for a formula to figure out the distance the person could have traveled and mention that their friend may be a minor. They also question the validity of the attorney's exact figures and inquire about the impact and harm caused to the person.
jdub
Help me figure this out please!

To make a long story short... I have a court case where I'm being sued for loaning a 4 wheeler to a friend which struck someone standing in the road. The plaintiff's lawyer said that the plaintiff was thrown 30 feet (which I know isn't right). I'm not the best at math but here's what I need to figure out...

General information...

ATV = 350 lbs
Driver = 165 lbs
Plaintiff (person struck) = 200 lbs
ATV Mph = 25 mph

What I need to know is the possible distance the plaintiff could have traveled?

What is your formula for figuring out the problem?

Any other informaton needed, just let me know!
Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, the attorney may claim whatever he or she wishes but an attorney's statements do not constitute evidence.

Second, in order to be projected 30 feet horizontally all that is required is an initial speed of about 30 feet per second for the "projectile." Given that the mass of the ATV plus passenger is more than double that of the "projectile" and that the ATV is initially moving at about 16 feet per second it is entirely possible that the projectile acquired a launch speed exceeding 30 feet per second.

Third, I don't think the judge will be impressed with allegedly exact figures. Since you are being sued rather than your friend I would infer that your friend is a minor and the speed of 25 mph may be suspect unless there is a definite mechanical constraint that prevents your vehicle from attaining speeds greater than that. More convincing would be a known point of impact and a known point of landing in which case guesses of what the speed was become moot.

Is there a real dispute over whether the person was struck or thrown ANY distance and whether harm was done?

Last edited:

What does "Help me figure this out please" mean?

"Help me figure this out please" is a request for assistance in understanding or solving a problem. It implies that the person is struggling with something and needs support in finding a solution.

Why would someone ask for help figuring something out?

There are many reasons why someone may ask for help in figuring something out. It could be that they lack the knowledge or skills to solve the problem on their own. It could also be that they are feeling overwhelmed and need a fresh perspective. Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness.

How can I effectively help someone figure something out?

To effectively help someone figure something out, it is important to actively listen to their concerns and ask clarifying questions. Offer suggestions and resources, but also encourage them to think critically and come up with their own solutions. It is important to be patient and supportive throughout the process.

What are some common strategies for figuring things out?

Some common strategies for figuring things out include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking out information and resources, brainstorming ideas, and asking for help or advice from others. It is also helpful to approach the problem with a positive and open mindset.

How can I become better at figuring things out on my own?

To become better at figuring things out on your own, it is important to develop critical thinking skills, such as problem-solving, analysis, and creativity. It can also be helpful to seek out new experiences and challenges, as well as continuously learning and expanding your knowledge and skills.