Difference between Classical Momentum and Relativistic Momentum

In summary, classical physics defines momentum as p=mv, while in special relativity, momentum is defined with the relativistic mass instead of the rest mass. The level of education of the person asking the question is a junior in college, currently studying under a Russian professor who speaks limited English. They are feeling uneasy about the material, specifically the Lorentz Transformations, but their confidence is growing as they find more correct answers. The question was asked to clarify if any transformations apply to velocity, but the answer is that it only applies to the change in mass.
DaVinci
Classical Physics states that:

p=mv

So, for special relativity, would momentum be defined in the same manner except m is now equal to the relativistic mass instead of the standard 'rest mass' as used in the classical equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly,that's how momentum is defined for relatvistic systems...

What level of eduation do u have??

Daniel.

I am a junior in college. I just switched to a new university and my physics 3 professor is Russian and speaks 5% english... so I am feeling very uneasy about what we have learned so far. The Lorentz Transformations have thrown me through a loop. But as I find that more and more of my answers are correct that my confidence in this material is growing.

My main reason for asking this question was to ensure there wasnt any of the Transformations that had to apply to the velocity or anything of that nature. I was pretty sure it was just the mass change... but as I said... very iffy on the whole relativity thing at the moment. :biggrin:

What is the difference between Classical Momentum and Relativistic Momentum?

Classical momentum is a measure of an object's motion in classical physics, while relativistic momentum is a measure of an object's motion in the theory of relativity. They differ in their equations and how they are affected by speed.

How is classical momentum calculated?

Classical momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. This is represented by the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How is relativistic momentum calculated?

Relativistic momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity and dividing by the square root of 1 minus the square of the object's velocity divided by the speed of light squared. This is represented by the equation p = mv/√(1-v²/c²), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

How does the concept of momentum change in the theory of relativity?

In classical physics, momentum is considered to be a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. However, in the theory of relativity, momentum is not conserved and can be converted into other forms of energy. Additionally, relativistic momentum takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

At what speeds does classical momentum become inaccurate?

Classical momentum becomes inaccurate at speeds approaching the speed of light. At these high speeds, the equations of classical mechanics are no longer valid and must be replaced with the equations of relativity to accurately describe an object's motion.