The generalized Lambert W-function

• Thread starter saltydog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    generalized
In summary, the conversation discusses the generalized Lambert function and its use in solving an ODE from a homework problem. It is defined as the inverse of a function involving the W-function, which is defined as the inverse of the form f(x)e^x=y. The conversation also discusses the use of the W-function in solving for the inverse of functions involving x^n and e^x. Daniel provides a solution using the W-function, and Salty thanks him for his help. Salty plans to report and plot the problem in the homework section.
saltydog
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Can anyone here help me derive the generalized Lambert function? I'm working on a solution for an ODE from the homework group which involves this function. This is what I have so far:

The W-function is defined as the inverse of the following:

[tex]
f(x)=xe^x=y
[/tex]

then:

[tex]f^{-1}(y)=x=W(y) [/tex]

with W being the Lambert W-function for [itex]y>-e^{-1}[/itex]

I need help showing the following:

If:

[tex] g(x)=x^2e^x=y [/tex]

then:

[tex] g^{-1}(y)=2W(\frac{\sqrt y}{2}) [/tex]

and in general if:

[tex] h(x)=x^ne^x=y[/tex]

then:

[tex] h^{-1}(y)=nW(\frac{y^\frac{1}{n}}{n})
[/tex]

Thanks,
Salty

Mathematics news on Phys.org
you need to get one side into the form:

[tex]f(x) e^{f(x)}[/tex]

then take the W of both sides, which will leave f(x) here.

Where did you come up with that factor "n" in front of the W function...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Where did you come up with that factor "n" in front of the W function...?

Daniel.

Mathematica reports the results as I stated but I'd like to understand how it's arriving at it. I've checked it with real numbers (I don't have a support contract and they don't like me bothering them).

StatusX said:
you need to get one side into the form:

[tex]f(x) e^{f(x)}[/tex]

then take the W of both sides, which will leave f(x) here.

Thanks StatusX. I don't see that but will try and work with that logic in the morning.

Salty

It's straightforward.
[tex] x^{n}e^{x}=y \Rightarrow xe^{\frac{x}{n}}=y^{\frac{1}{n}}\Rightarrow \frac{x}{n}e^{\frac{x}{n}}=\frac{y^{\frac{1}{n}}}{n} [/tex]

Apply the W (Lambert function) on the last equality and u'll get
[tex] \frac{x}{n}=W(\frac{y^{\frac{1}{n}}}{n}) \Rightarrow x=n W(\frac{y^{\frac{1}{n}}}{n}) [/tex]

which is the inverse function of the one you started with.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It's straightforward.
[tex] x^{n}e^{x}=y \Rightarrow xe^{\frac{x}{n}}=y^{\frac{1}{n}}\Rightarrow \frac{x}{n}e^{\frac{x}{n}}=\frac{y^{\frac{1}{n}}}{n} [/tex]

Apply the W (Lambert function) on the last equality and u'll get
[tex] \frac{x}{n}=W(\frac{y^{\frac{1}{n}}}{n}) \Rightarrow x=n W(\frac{y^{\frac{1}{n}}}{n}) [/tex]

which is the inverse function of the one you started with.

Daniel.

Yep, would not have figured that on my own. I mean, it took me a while to even see what you were doing. Thanks Daniel.
I'll follow-up with a report (and plot) in the homework section for this problem. I know they're long-gone to other things but I tell you what, they missin' out (and they wouldn't like me as their teacher because I'd make them do this extra stuf for at least some of the problems).

Salty

1. What is the generalized Lambert W-function?

The generalized Lambert W-function, denoted as Wk(x), is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the function f(x) = xex + kx. It is a special case of the Lambert W-function, which is defined as the inverse of f(x) = xex.

2. What is the purpose of the generalized Lambert W-function?

The generalized Lambert W-function has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve equations involving exponential and logarithmic functions, and it also has connections to complex analysis and combinatorics.

3. How is the generalized Lambert W-function calculated?

The generalized Lambert W-function is typically calculated using numerical methods, as there is no closed-form expression for it. One common method is the Halley's method, which uses an iterative process to approximate the value of Wk(x).

4. What are the properties of the generalized Lambert W-function?

Some important properties of the generalized Lambert W-function include its branches, which depend on the value of k, and its asymptotic behavior, which can be used to approximate its value for large values of x. It also has connections to other special functions such as the error function and the gamma function.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the generalized Lambert W-function?

Yes, the generalized Lambert W-function has been applied in various fields such as physics, finance, and biology. It has been used to model growth rates in bacteria populations, to analyze stock market data, and to study the behavior of quantum mechanical systems. Its versatile properties make it a useful tool for solving complex equations and analyzing real-world problems.