Any method to find the tank size without knowing the dimensions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of adding chlorine to an overhead water tank, but the necessary information such as tank capacity and pump flow rate is unknown. Suggestions are made to either measure the tank dimensions or fill the tank with known volumes of water to calculate its capacity. However, these solutions may not be feasible due to the location and lack of information about the pump's actual flow rate.
polka129
hello.i need to add chlorine to an OVERHEAD water tank.for that i need to know the proper quantity of chlorine to be added.and for that i need to know the tank capacity.unfortunately i do not know the dimensions of the tank,neither i have drawing of it..BUT...a vertical inline pump sucks water from an underground tank and fills this OVERHEAD TANK..even the rated flow of this pump is unknown..how to CALCULATE the tank size?

the water level in the OHT can be found out using a home mode wooden dip stick(graduated with level marks)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Without any numbers, you cannot calculate anything.
I would try to measure the dimensions of the tank. If that is not possible, try to fill the empty tank with known volumes of water until it is full. If that is not possible, try to get the capacity of the underground tank and use the pump to transfer a known volume of water to the overhead tank.

thank you for your reply mfb..actually measuring the dimensions of the tank is difficult given the location where it is located..i do not even know what amount of water the pump transfers ACTUALLY.cause we do not always get the RATED flow right?...

1. How can I determine the size of a tank without knowing its dimensions?

There are several methods to estimate the size of a tank without knowing its dimensions. One approach is to measure the volume of liquid that the tank can hold by filling it with a known amount of liquid and then calculating the volume based on the height of the liquid. Another method is to use a liquid level sensor or a dipstick to measure the depth of the liquid in the tank and then calculate the volume using the cross-sectional area of the tank.

2. Can I use the weight of the tank to determine its size?

No, the weight of a tank does not necessarily correspond to its size. The weight of a tank can vary depending on its material, thickness, and design. Therefore, it is not a reliable method to determine the size of a tank.

3. Is there a formula to calculate the size of a tank without knowing its dimensions?

There is no one formula that can accurately calculate the size of a tank without knowing its dimensions. However, there are various formulas and calculations that can be used depending on the type of tank and the available information, such as the volume of liquid it can hold or its cross-sectional area.

4. Can I estimate the size of a cylindrical tank without knowing its dimensions?

Yes, you can estimate the size of a cylindrical tank without knowing its dimensions by measuring the depth of the liquid in the tank and the diameter of the tank. Then, you can use the formula for the volume of a cylinder (π x radius^2 x height) to calculate the approximate volume and size of the tank.

5. What are some other factors that can affect the accuracy of estimating the size of a tank without knowing its dimensions?

Aside from the type of tank and the available information, other factors that can affect the accuracy of estimating the size of a tank without knowing its dimensions include the shape of the tank, the presence of any obstructions or irregularities inside the tank, and the accuracy of the measurements taken.