Transformation between Global and Local Coordinates for Uniform Bar Elements

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for a uniform bar element with constant EA and its possible alternative representation. The expert explains that changing the order of the variables may cause confusion and suggests using a different consistent ordering. The conversation then delves into determining the transformations between two sets of coordinate systems and obtaining them graphically.
bugatti79
Folks,

The element equations for a uniform bar element with constant EA according to the attachment is given as

##\displaystyle \frac{E_a A_e}{h_e}\begin{bmatrix}
1 &0 &-1 &0 \\0
&0 &0 &0 \\-1
&0 &1 &0 \\
0 &0 &0 &0
\end{bmatrix}\begin{Bmatrix}
u^e_1\\v^e_1
\\u^e_2
\\ v^e_2

\end{Bmatrix}=\begin{Bmatrix}
F^e_1\\0\\F^e_2
\\0

\end{Bmatrix}##

I am just wondering, can this not be also written as

1 &-1 &0 &0 \\0
&0 &0 &0 \\-1
&1 &0 &0 \\
0 &0 &0 &0
u^e_1\\u^e_2
\\v^e_1
\\ v^e_2

F^e_1\\0\\F^e_2
\\0

\end{Bmatrix}##...?

Attachments

• IMAG0125.jpg
    IMAG0125.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 372
Engineering news on Phys.org
You could do that, but things will get very confusing in the long run if the vector of displacements is in a different order to the vector of forces. For example the work done by the external forces will not be just ##F^T x## and the strain energy in the structure will not be ##(1/2)x^TKx##. You would need to keep track of the different order of the two vectors.

You could use a different consistent ordering of the variables, like

1 &-1 &0 &0 \\
-1 &1 &0 &0 \\
0 &0 &0 &0 \\
0 &0 &0 &0
u^e_1\\u^e_2
\\v^e_1
\\ v^e_2

F^e_1\\F^e_2
\\0\\0
\end{Bmatrix}##

OK thanks. Further on I am just wondering how he determined the transformations between the 2 sets of coordinates systems global ##(x,y)## and local ##(x_e,y_e)## based on the attachment.

He writes

##x_e=x \cos \theta_e+y \sin \theta_e##, ##y_e=-x \sin \theta_e+y \cos \theta_e##

##x=x_e \cos \theta_e- y_e \sin \theta_e##, ##y=x_e \sin \theta_e+y_e \cos \theta_e##

I would have written ##x_e=x \cos \theta_e-y \sin \theta_e##, ##y_e=x \sin \theta_e+y \cos \theta_e## for ##(x_e,y_e)##

Then based on my above i write it in matrix form and get the inverse to arrive at

##x=x_e \cos \theta_e+y_e \sin \theta_e##, ##y=-x_e \sin \theta_e+y_e \cos \theta_e##
(On the side, I would like to know how I would obtain ##(x,y)## graphically)

Last edited:
bugatti79 said:
OK thanks. Further on I am just wondering how he determined the transformations between the 2 sets of coordinates systems global ##(x,y)## and local ##(x_e,y_e)## based on the attachment.

He writes

##x_e=x \cos \theta_e+y \sin \theta_e##, ##y_e=-x \sin \theta_e+y \cos \theta_e##

##x=x_e \cos \theta_e- y_e \sin \theta_e##, ##y=x_e \sin \theta_e+y_e \cos \theta_e##

I would have written ##x_e=x \cos \theta_e-y \sin \theta_e##, ##y_e=x \sin \theta_e+y \cos \theta_e## for ##(x_e,y_e)##

Then based on my above i write it in matrix form and get the inverse to arrive at

##x=x_e \cos \theta_e+y_e \sin \theta_e##, ##y=-x_e \sin \theta_e+y_e \cos \theta_e##
(On the side, I would like to know how I would obtain ##(x,y)## graphically)

It is ok, I have it sorted. The book is correct. Cheers

1. What is a plane truss finite element?

A plane truss finite element is a mathematical model that represents a structure made up of interconnected bars or beams. It is used to analyze the behavior and stresses of a truss structure under different loading conditions.

2. How does a plane truss finite element work?

A plane truss finite element works by dividing a truss structure into smaller, simpler elements. These elements are connected at discrete points, known as nodes, and their behavior is described using mathematical equations. When these elements are combined, they provide a comprehensive analysis of the overall truss structure.

3. What are the benefits of using plane truss finite elements?

Using plane truss finite elements allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of truss structures. It can handle complex geometries and loading conditions, and can provide detailed information on the stresses and displacements within the structure. It also allows for quick and easy modifications to the truss design to optimize its performance.

4. What are the limitations of plane truss finite elements?

One limitation of plane truss finite elements is that they only consider the structure in two dimensions, neglecting any effects in the third dimension. They also assume that the truss members are perfectly rigid and do not account for any deformations or deformability of the structure. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the input data and assumptions made during the analysis.

5. How are plane truss finite elements used in practical applications?

Plane truss finite elements are commonly used in engineering and construction to analyze and design truss structures such as bridges, roofs, and towers. They are also used in the aerospace industry to analyze and optimize the structural components of aircraft. Additionally, they are used in research and development to study the behavior of new and innovative truss designs.