Light decomposing when moving your eyes

• Thread starter matiasmorant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes Light
In summary: NEW-3D-Projector-HDMI-3-D-SLIM-LIGHT-EMITTER-/321116272911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a5f75b5f5&item=321116272911
matiasmorant
last night i was in a bar, and i noticed that when i moved my head fast from left to right and right to left, i could see the reflection of white light in the beer barrels decompose in three colors. why does that happen?

Science news on Phys.org
What were the beer barrels made out of? Glass?

What kind of light source was it? If white light is generated by mixing colored light pulses that have a slight time offset (like CRT color TV), such effects can occur.

Can you repeat the experiment sober? :wink:
Could you find the bar?

Sorry - that was a very 'drinkist' reply.

I've seen the effect with a projector that produced images by flashing coloured LEDs in sequence at a mirror array. The flickering was fast enough that you saw mixed colours, but if you moved your head fast you could offset the R, G and B images on your retina slightly. This sounds similar. White LEDs don't work this way, do they?

When the three coloured images flicker and are not produced at the same time (when they are multiplexed sequentially) and you scan in some way - either by moving your eyes or the display - then they will appear in different positions in space.
That could explain it. It would depend upon the particular display. You could experiment by waggling a hand held mirror to stretch the effect more. Girlies often have these in their handbags so you could, perhaps borrow one next time you're there. (Original chat-up line!)

This effect is sometimes used intentionally. What appears to be a narrow strip of steady white light is actually a rapid sequence of consecutive multicoloured strips out of a complete picture. By scanning your eyes across the strip the original picture becomes visible. There's an example at MONA in Tasmania, and another at Mont Orgueil Castle in Jersey.

Drakkith: the barrels were made of bright steel
A.T.: there where multiple lights around, there was a projector, light bulbs, light of cars driving by the street... i would say the reflection in the beer barrels wasbeing produced by the light bulbs
Ibix: It does indeed sound similar. But I don't think that the reflection was coming from some electronic device, I think it was just coming from the light bulbs, even though it might well be the case that I got the wrong impression. I believe white leds just produce 'pure' white light...
sophiecentaur: hahahah! that would indeed be an original chat-up line!
haruspex: yes, I understand. but i was wondering if i could decompose the reflection of an actual white light by moving my head very fast?¿

matiasmorant said:
i was wondering if i could decompose the reflection of an actual white light by moving my head very fast?¿
No. There needs to be some time separation of hues in the original light.

I would like to repeat this experiment for myself. What were you drinking?

What is "pure white light"?

JustinRyan said:
I would like to repeat this experiment for myself. What were you drinking?

What is "pure white light?"

It's a new cocktail. You haven't tried it?

matiasmorant said:
Drakkith: the barrels were made of bright steel
A.T.: there where multiple lights around, there was a projector, light bulbs, light of cars driving by the street... i would say the reflection in the beer barrels wasbeing produced by the light bulbs
It was the projector. I observed the same thing today. Look at the lens from the side, so it doesn't blind you. Then perform some rapid eye movement. In my case it was this model:

316W4gXQTcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

What causes light to decompose when moving your eyes?

When we move our eyes, the light that enters our eyes is processed by different cells in our retina. These cells, called photoreceptors, are responsible for converting light into electrical signals that are sent to the brain. When we move our eyes, the light that enters our eyes is processed by different photoreceptors, resulting in a decomposition of the light.

Is light decomposition normal when moving your eyes?

Yes, light decomposition when moving our eyes is a normal part of our visual system. Our eyes and brain work together to create a clear and focused image of our surroundings. When we move our eyes, the light that enters our eyes is processed differently, allowing us to see different parts of our surroundings in focus.

Can light decomposition when moving your eyes cause eye strain?

No, light decomposition when moving our eyes does not cause eye strain. Eye strain is typically caused by prolonged use of digital devices or reading in low light conditions. Our eyes are designed to move and adjust to different light conditions, so light decomposition when moving our eyes does not put strain on our eyes.

Does age affect light decomposition when moving your eyes?

As we age, our eyes may become less flexible and our visual system may not work as efficiently. This can result in a slower decomposition of light when moving our eyes. However, this is a normal part of the aging process and does not typically cause any significant issues with our vision.

Can light decomposition when moving your eyes be prevented?

No, light decomposition when moving our eyes cannot be prevented. It is a natural process that occurs as part of our visual system. However, maintaining good eye health and getting regular eye exams can help ensure that our eyes and visual system are functioning properly.