Exploring the Applications of Galois Theory in Physics

In summary, Galois theory, while not directly applicable in physics, has played a role in the development of group theory, which has many indirect applications in physics. For example, the fundamental group, which can be thought of as a Galois group, has connections to the Lorentz group and 2D surface physics, and the Langlands correspondence has shown the connection between the fundamental group and the center of a simply connected dual group. While not all of pure math may have direct applications, the indirect connections between math and physics demonstrate the importance and relevance of studying various mathematical concepts.
kostas230
I don't know if this is the correct section to post this, but does Galois theory has any applications in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google it and stuff will come up.

I don't know if it has SERIOUS applications. You can google almost any math topic AND physics and you'll often find something. However, it's always hard to know if the applications are really meaningful.

I'll take the opportunity to point out, though, that the point of math is often indirect. Galois and Lagrange and those guys invented group theory in the context of solving polynomial equations. And groups play a big role in physics. So, I don't know about Galois theory, but spin-offs of Galois theory do have a role to play. That's often the way it works. I'm guessing 90% of pure math isn't directly useful, I think, but a bigger percentage is indirectly useful.

I'll give you two examples. If you think about the fundamental group as a galois group then yes. You know from topology that the fundamental group as it acts on deck transformations is analogous to how the Galois group acts on field extensions. What is the fundamental group (Galois group) of the Lorentz group? It's Z/2Z this is why there are only fermions and bosons. In 2D surface physics the fundamental group is Z this is why there can be anyons in 2D physics. Another more math based example comes from the Langlands correspondence in physics, namely the fundamental group of the adjoint representation is isomorphic to the center of a simply connected dual group.

1. What is Galois theory in physics?

Galois theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of mathematical equations and their solutions. In physics, it can be used to study the symmetries and transformations of physical systems and their corresponding equations.

2. How is Galois theory applied in physics?

Galois theory is applied in physics to understand the symmetries and transformations of physical systems. This allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and laws that govern these systems, and can also aid in solving complex equations and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

3. What are some examples of Galois theory in physics?

One example of Galois theory in physics is the study of the symmetries of the hydrogen atom. By understanding the symmetries of the system, physicists were able to predict the energy levels and allowed transitions of the atom. Another example is the use of Galois theory in the study of particle physics, specifically in the classification of elementary particles based on their symmetries.

4. How does Galois theory impact our understanding of the physical world?

Galois theory allows us to uncover the underlying symmetries and transformations in physical systems, providing a more comprehensive understanding of how the world works. It also helps in making predictions and solving complex equations that describe the behavior of physical systems, leading to advancements in technology and scientific progress.

5. Is Galois theory still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Galois theory is still highly relevant in modern physics. It is used in various fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. It continues to play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world.