Visible Light & Inverse Square Law - Rad. Physics Newbie

• Thread starter ColdFire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, visible light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye and is a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. The inverse square law is a principle that states that the intensity of a source of radiation decreases as the distance from the source increases. This applies to all forms of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, and can be used to calculate the intensity of visible light. The inverse square law also affects the brightness of a light source, causing it to appear less bright as the distance from the source increases.
ColdFire
undefined

I have a question that might sound stupid, but I was wondering if someone could tell me if visible light obeys the inverse square law? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what your referring to.

The "inverse square law" is just a mathematical relationship between an independant and dependant variable that comes up a lot in physics, wave intensity, gravitation, electromagnetics, etc.

The intensity of light is proportional to the inverse square of the distance of measurement, if that's what you mean.

Hi there, it's great that you're curious about the inverse square law and its relationship to visible light. To answer your question, yes, visible light does indeed obey the inverse square law. This law states that the intensity of light decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as you move further away from a light source, the intensity of visible light decreases exponentially. This is why objects appear dimmer the further away they are from a light source. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep exploring and learning about radiation physics!

1. What is visible light?

Visible light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, which also includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. What is the inverse square law?

The inverse square law is a principle that states that the intensity of a source of radiation is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the source increases, the intensity of the radiation decreases.

3. How does the inverse square law apply to visible light?

The inverse square law applies to all forms of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light. This means that as the distance from a light source increases, the intensity of the visible light decreases. For example, if you move twice as far away from a light source, the intensity of the visible light will decrease by a factor of four.

4. Can the inverse square law be used to calculate the intensity of visible light?

Yes, the inverse square law can be used to calculate the intensity of visible light. The formula is I = I0 / r2, where I is the intensity at a certain distance, I0 is the intensity at the source, and r is the distance from the source.

5. How does the inverse square law affect the brightness of a light source?

The inverse square law directly affects the brightness of a light source. As the distance from the source increases, the intensity of the light decreases, making the light source appear less bright. This is important to consider when setting up lighting for a space or when using artificial lighting for photography or filming.