Pattern recognition on integrals questions

In summary, pattern recognition is essential in mathematics and can be used to solve various problems, such as completing the square in the denominator and rewriting the numerator to make the squared term appear. In the example given, the number 3 is added to the numerator in order to maintain the original value.
Dan350
Hello users,
I would like to know when do you use pattern recognition over integrals
Someone told me it was that
For example the integral below

I would like to know the procedure to rewrite the numerators as (2x-2) + 3
Where does the 3 come from?
I would really appreciate

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_31 Jul. 03 11.13.jpg
    ScreenHunter_31 Jul. 03 11.13.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
Pattern recognition is at the heart of mathematics no matter which branch of math you're dealing with. In this case, you can complete the square in the denominator. Rewriting the numerator the way you've mentioned then makes the squared term in the denominator appear in the numerator. Then you can try a change of variables. You get:
[tex]\int \frac{2x+1}{(x-1)^{2}-3}\,dx = \int \frac{(2x-2)+3}{(x-1)^{2}-3}\,dx
=\int \frac{2(x-1)+3}{(x-1)^{2}-3} \, dx.[/tex]
Substitute [itex]u=x-1[/itex] to simplify.

Ackbeet said:
Pattern recognition is at the heart of mathematics no matter which branch of math you're dealing with. In this case, you can complete the square in the denominator. Rewriting the numerator the way you've mentioned then makes the squared term in the denominator appear in the numerator. Then you can try a change of variables. You get:
[tex]\int \frac{2x+1}{(x-1)^{2}-3}\,dx = \int \frac{(2x-2)+3}{(x-1)^{2}-3}\,dx
=\int \frac{2(x-1)+3}{(x-1)^{2}-3} \, dx.[/tex]
Substitute [itex]u=x-1[/itex] to simplify.
Makes sense,, thank you,, but could you explain me how did you get the number 3 in the numerator??
I know that the integral is in the form f'(x)/f(x),, but what do you do with the constant?
I am a little confused

Last edited:
Dan350 said:
Makes sense,, thank you,, but could you explain me how did you get the number 3 in the numerator?? I am a little confused

Sure. You can't actually change the numerator, can you? You can rewrite it to look a little different, but that's all. The [itex]3[/itex] in the numerator is the number you must add to [itex]-2[/itex] in order to ensure that you end up with the original [itex]+1[/itex]. So the thinking goes this way: I want a [itex]-2[/itex] there, but I have a [itex]+1[/itex]. How could I get a [itex]-2[/itex]? By rewriting [itex]1=-2+3[/itex]. So that's where the [itex]3[/itex] comes from.

Likes 1 person

1. What is pattern recognition in the context of integrals?

Pattern recognition in the context of integrals involves identifying recurring patterns or relationships in integrals and using them to solve new or more complex integrals. It involves understanding the structure and behavior of integrals and being able to recognize common patterns and techniques for solving them.

2. Why is pattern recognition important in solving integrals?

Pattern recognition is important in solving integrals because it allows us to quickly identify and apply known techniques and strategies to solve new or challenging integrals. It also helps us to avoid unnecessary calculations and arrive at solutions more efficiently.

3. How can I improve my pattern recognition skills for integrals?

One way to improve pattern recognition skills for integrals is to practice solving a variety of integrals and actively look for patterns and relationships between them. It can also be helpful to study different integration techniques and understand the underlying principles behind them.

4. What are some common patterns in integrals?

Some common patterns in integrals include recognizing when to use substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and partial fractions. Other patterns include recognizing when to use symmetry, factorization, or other algebraic manipulations to simplify the integral.

5. Can pattern recognition be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, pattern recognition is a fundamental skill in mathematics and can be applied in various areas such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. It involves identifying and understanding the underlying structure and relationships in mathematical problems and using them to solve new or more complex problems.