How are inflaton particles that drive the early inflation created?

In summary, inflaton particles that drive the early inflation are created through a process called "inflationary reheating." This occurs after the initial rapid expansion of the universe and involves the decay of another type of particle, known as the inflaton field. The energy released during this decay is converted into inflaton particles, which then drive the continued inflation of the universe. This process is crucial for explaining the homogeneity and flatness of the universe, as well as the observed temperature fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background radiation.
Dilatino
Assuming that the early inflation of the universe is driven by the potential energy of some inflaton field(s), the "normal" matter is created only after this rapid inflation has stopped by conversion of the latent energy of the corresponding phase transition to particles.

Does this mean that the 3 fundamental forces and the corresponding particles summerized in the standard model of particle physics were not yet present during the inflation and even earlier, such that the inflaton particles themself have to be created exclusively by non SM processes?

What are the assumed processes and interactions that are capable of producing the inflaton particles themself?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The inflation period itself, in Big Bang cosmology, forms the first part of the electro-weak epoch. i.e. gravity and the strong force have separated out. i.e. these forces were present during inflation.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
The inflation period itself, in Big Bang cosmology, forms the first part of the electro-weak epoch. i.e. gravity and the strong force have separated out. i.e. these forces were present during inflation.
Do you have a reference for this? Have GUT-scale and other SUGRA-based models of inflation been somehow ruled out?

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;

Looking at this presentation (slide 19), the energy scale at which the inflation period occurs is depicted as having a large uncertainty. Is there any evidence to suggest that it was actually nearer the electroweak scale (the bottom end of the range shown) rather than higher, in BSM land?

Last edited by a moderator:
sheaf said:
Looking at this presentation (slide 19), the energy scale at which the inflation period occurs is depicted as having a large uncertainty. Is there any evidence to suggest that it was actually nearer the electroweak scale (the bottom end of the range shown) rather than higher, in BSM land?
Right, that's what I'm getting at. The energy scale of inflation is only observable through the presence of tensor perturbations in the CMB generated by primordial gravitational waves. The amplitude of tensors is commonly given in terms of the tensor/scalar ratio: the latest Planck constraints give [itex]r<0.1[/itex] at 95% CL. The slow roll approximation gives
[tex]V_0^{1/4} \sim \left(\frac{r}{0.7}\right)^{1/4}\times 1.8 \times 10^{16}\, {\rm GeV}[/tex]
where [itex]V_0[/itex] is the vacuum energy density of inflation when the observed perturbations were generated -- this is the energy scale of inflation. With the Planck bound on [itex]r[/itex], we get [itex]V_0^{1/4} \lesssim 10^{16}\,{\rm GeV}[/itex], well above the electroweak scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
bapowell said:
Do you have a reference for this?
Pretty much any sophomore physics text dealing with the subject has it on it's timeline for the Big Bang as "inflationary epoch".
This may or may not be what was intended but I'm not going to get more sophisticated than that unless I have to :)

Have GUT-scale and other SUGRA-based models of inflation been somehow ruled out?
Not to my knowledge.
I figured I'd wait before writing a textbook ;)

You seem to be having fun though. Enjoy.

I started looking in this question a little after the Planck results came out earlier this year (I'm referring to the inflationary timeline stuff)... I remember being a little surprised by the lack of confidence voiced (I'm talking informally) from the physics community.

Anyway, I think I have some links stashed away from the episode--I'll edit them in if i can. (Then again if you wanted rigorous text-booky material you'll want bapowell or simon, but like I said i'll see what (if) I can find.)Speak of the devil: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=707029

Thanks for these comments, I rather thought too that the inlation energy scale should be at or above the GUT scale.

@Sheaf thanks for the link to the power point talk, this looks interesting

@bapowell is there some reference where it is explained how gravitational waves cause tensor perurbations of the CMB background?

1. How do inflaton particles come into existence?

Inflaton particles are believed to have been created during the rapid expansion of the universe known as inflation. During this process, the energy of the universe was rapidly increasing, causing quantum fluctuations to occur, and these fluctuations resulted in the creation of inflaton particles.

2. What is the role of inflaton particles in the early universe?

Inflaton particles are thought to be the driving force behind the rapid expansion of the universe during inflation. They are responsible for creating the initial energy that led to the expansion and growth of the universe.

3. Can inflaton particles be observed or measured?

At this time, there is no direct observational evidence of inflaton particles. However, scientists are studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the early universe, to gather indirect evidence of the existence of inflaton particles.

4. How are inflaton particles different from other particles?

Inflaton particles are different from other particles because they are believed to have a very low mass and are thought to be responsible for the rapid expansion of the universe during inflation. They are also thought to have a unique interaction with gravity.

5. Are there any current theories or experiments regarding the creation of inflaton particles?

Yes, there are several theories and ongoing experiments attempting to further understand the creation of inflaton particles. These include studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, particle colliders, and gravitational wave detectors.