Can You Master Basic Index Notation in a Weekend?

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of index notation in vector calculus and the confusion surrounding it. The person is struggling with understanding the notation and is asking for resources to help them learn it better. They mention the Levi-Civita symbol and the Einstein notation convention, and recommend a book by P.C. Matthews for understanding and practicing index notation.
synkk
A week or two ago we went through index notation in class, however I didn't understand it when the lecturer was going through it thus I need to go through it now. I have this weekend to go through it along with other material. Is it possible to go over basic index notation in this short period of time and if so what resources should I use as I have no direct textbook that my lecturers follow

please help, thanks.

edit: I'm talking about vector calculus index notation

Physics news on Phys.org
can you be more specific by showing an example that doesn't seem to make sense?

jedishrfu said:
can you be more specific by showing an example that doesn't seem to make sense?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_symbol

if you scroll down to "properties" we're doing similar stuff like that, e.g. the identity when n = 3 with the 4 delta symbols, we were asked to prove that and I was baffed :s.

we also are doing some 2d vector index notation

synkk said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_symbol

if you scroll down to "properties" we're doing similar stuff like that, e.g. the identity when n = 3 with the 4 delta symbols, we were asked to prove that and I was baffed :s.

we also are doing some 2d vector index notation

Are you asking for the proof of this identity?

Well some people get confused by the subscript vs superscript notation. In the case of the LeviCivita symbol (a psuedo-tensor) there is no distinction between sub and superscripts so you can use them as needed.

The Einstein notation convention is that when a subscript and a superscript index are the same letter then it is understood that you sum them to get the result:yj = Aijxi

y1 = A11 * x1 + A21 * x2 + A31 * x3

y2 = A12 * x1 + A22 * x2 + A32 * x3

y3 = A13 * x1 + A23 * x2 + A33 * x3

Check Google for more info on the Levi-Civita symbol...

Last edited:
Just search for every post by WannabeNewton.

Jorriss said:
Just search for every post by WannabeNewton.

Haha, agree with this. He's posted a lot of interesting stuff in the Differential Geometry and SR/GR forums -- his profile is on my friend list if you can't find it.

Vector Calculus by P.C. Matthews has an awesome chapter on index notation. I struggled with the notation enormously when it was tangentially introduced during and E&M course because neither the teacher nor the textbook provided sufficient information (for me) or any basic practice problems. Matthews is thorough, concise and has a bunch of problems with solutions at the back. After 2 days playing with it I was able to prove most standard identities. Wish I had had it during that class …

1. What is index notation?

Index notation, also known as superscript notation, is a mathematical notation where numbers or variables are written as superscripts. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent repeated multiplication or powers of a number.

2. How do I read and write indices?

To read an index, you start from the right and move left. The number on the right is the base, and the number on the left is the power or exponent. For example, in 23, the base is 2 and the power is 3. To write an index, you place the base number on the bottom and the power number on the top, separated by a caret (^). So 23 would be written as 2^3.

3. What is the purpose of using index notation?

Index notation allows for easier and more concise representation of repeated multiplication or powers. It also simplifies complex equations and makes them easier to solve.

4. How is index notation used in scientific notation?

In scientific notation, a number is written as the product of a decimal number between 1 and 10 and a power of 10. For example, 3.2 x 104 is written in index notation as 3.2^4. This makes it easier to work with very large or very small numbers.

5. Can index notation be used for negative numbers?

Yes, index notation can be used for negative numbers. A negative power represents the reciprocal of the base raised to the positive power. For example, 2-3 is the same as 1/23 or 1/8.