Tan 6x is exactly the same thing as 6 tan x

• Thread starter skj91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tan
In summary: You can see these in the following table.trigonometric identities In summary,Just want to verify if I am correct in assuming that when tan(6x) is equal to tan(3x+3x), it is simply a matter of rearranging the variables of algebra's multiplicative identity. No that's not right. You have to use the tan(a+b) formula to break it down the right way: tan(a+b) = ( tan(a) + tan(b) ) / ( 1-tan(a)*tan(b) ).
skj91
Just want to verify if I am correct in assuming that

tan 6x is exactly the same thing as 6 tan x

It's merely a matter of rearranging the variables of algebra's multiplicative identity, am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
No that's not right.

You can test this easily with your calculator:

Does 6 * tan (10 degrees) =?= tan (60 degrees) ?

You have to use the tan(a+b) formula to break it down the right way:

tan(a+b) = ( tan(a) + tan(b) ) / ( 1-tan(a)*tan(b) )

Likes 1 person
skj91 said:
Just want to verify if I am correct in assuming that

tan 6x is exactly the same thing as 6 tan x

It's merely a matter of rearranging the variables of algebra's multiplicative identity, am I right?
I would guess you're thinking of multiplication associativity, which says that a(bc) = (ab)c. The trouble is, and this is a common mistake, tan 6x does NOT mean tan * 6 * x. I usually use parenthese to emphasize the fact that tan represents a function, not a factor in a product.

Likes 1 person
jedishrfu said:
No that's not right.

You can test this easily with your calculator:

Does 6 * tan (10 degrees) =?= tan (60 degrees) ?

You have to use the tan(a+b) formula to break it down the right way:

tan(a+b) = ( tan(a) + tan(b) ) / ( 1-tan(a)*tan(b) )

Dose that actually work? I've never seen it as a sum before.

I assumed tan(nx) was only represented by continuous fractions:

[itex] \frac {ntan(x)}{1- \frac {(n^2-1^2)tan^2(x)}{...}}[/itex]

jedishrfu said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities

look at angle sum / difference identities in the above link to wikipedia.

I feel dumb looking at all those trig identities, I've seen the product to sum and sum to product for sine and cosine, but not for tangent. Honestly I'm still lost by your example, can you show how you break tan(6x) into a sum? I think I could follow from there.

Okay tan(6x) = tan(3x + 3x) = ( tan(3x) + tan(3x) ) / ( 1 - tan(3x)*tan(3x) )

So now break down tan(3x) = tan(2x + x) and repeat the process...

jedishrfu said:

Wow... I think I need another cup of coffee. Missing the forest for the trees. Thanks Jedi.

jedishrfu said:

So basically I need to view the internals of any pie functions not as some value with substance, like a measurement or quantity, but instead see it as an indicator of what actions to perform on those contents, like a pattern of operations or protocol? And the values given will provide sort-of a starting point or clue as to which operations--which sine or cosine laws or rules--are applicable? Because straight across algebra isn't correct? Unless the values given are in radians or degrees, right? Then you can treat them like normal algebra, right?

skj91 said:
So basically I need to view the internals of any pie functions not as some value with substance, like a measurement or quantity, but instead see it as an indicator of what actions to perform on those contents, like a pattern of operations or protocol? And the values given will provide sort-of a starting point or clue as to which operations--which sine or cosine laws or rules--are applicable? Because straight across algebra isn't correct? Unless the values given are in radians or degrees, right? Then you can treat them like normal algebra, right?

It seems you are over-thinking this or trying to generate some new rule that may be too complicated to guide your mathematical life.

For me I just remember that when working with trig functions, I have a bunch of identities I can use to simplify them and that I need to use them in conjunction with algebra to solve the problem. Its similar for log and power functions where I try to remember the associated log/power identities.

When I saw the tan(6x) it triggered something in my brain to say I need to reduce this to something in x in order to solve for x and the only thing that came to mind was the tan(a+b) identity.

Last edited:
skj91 said:
So basically I need to view the internals of any pie functions
"pie functions" ?? If you're referring to ##\pi##, that's "pi." Pie is something to eat; pi is a number.
These are trig functions.
skj91 said:
not as some value with substance, like a measurement or quantity, but instead see it as an indicator of what actions to perform on those contents, like a pattern of operations or protocol? And the values given will provide sort-of a starting point or clue as to which operations--which sine or cosine laws or rules--are applicable?
There are six trig functions: sin, cos, tan, cot, sec, and csc. The tan, cot, sec, and csc functions can be rewritten in terms of sin or cos or both. These are identities that you learn when you're starting with trig.

There are also addition formulas for all six, but the most important are sin(A + B) and cos(A + B).

From the addition formulas, it's easy to derive the multiple angle identies, such as sin(2A) and cos(2A) and others.
skj91 said:
Because straight across algebra isn't correct?
What you were doing wasn't "straight across algebra" since you were ignoring the fact that tan(6x) does NOT mean tan * 6 * x. It means the tangent of 6x, in the same way that √(6x) means the square root of 6x.
skj91 said:
Unless the values given are in radians or degrees, right?
Doesn't make any difference. If you had tan(6 * 30°) that would be the tangent of 6 * 30°, or the tangent of 180°.
skj91 said:
Then you can treat them like normal algebra, right?
?

What does "Tan 6x is exactly the same thing as 6 tan x" mean?

This statement means that the trigonometric function tangent of 6 times an angle (6x) is equivalent to multiplying the tangent of the angle by 6.

Is this statement always true?

Yes, this statement is always true because of the trigonometric identity tan(nx) = n * tan(x), where n is a constant and x is an angle.

Can this statement be applied to any angle?

Yes, this statement can be applied to any angle, whether it is in degrees or radians. However, the values of the tangent function may differ depending on the unit of measurement.

How can this statement be useful in trigonometry?

This statement can be useful in simplifying complex trigonometric expressions and equations. It can also help in solving problems involving angles and triangles.

Are there other similar trigonometric identities?

Yes, there are many other trigonometric identities that involve multiplying or dividing trigonometric functions. Some examples include sin(nx) = n * sin(x) and cos(nx) = n * cos(x).