How can I solve this integral involving x, y, and s?

In summary, the conversation discussed different approaches to solving an integral involving a sum of squares. The participants suggested using trigonometric or hyperbolic substitutions, as well as partial fractions. They also provided helpful hints and corrections to each other's attempts. The conversation ended with the original poster thanking everyone for their assistance.
muzialis
Hi All,

I am having some troble with the following integral

$$\int_{-c}^{c} \frac{x^3}{(x^2+(y-s)^2)^2}\mathrm{d}s$$

Many thanks as usual

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the problem?

Please show your best attempt, annotated so we can see your thought process.

To give you a hint:
For some constant "a", functions f and g, do you know of functions that satisfies the identity:
[tex]a^{2}+f^{2}=g^{2}[/tex]

Arildno,

thanks for your hint. I suggest functions $$f = \sqrt{log x}$$ and $$g = \sqrt{log (x/e^{a^2})}$$.

Simon,

My best attempt so far:
$$\int \frac{1}{(x^2 + (y-s)^2)^2} \mathrm{d}s$$, change variable y-s = z,
$$\int \frac{-1}{(x^2 + z^2)*(x^2+z^2)} \mathrm{d}s =$$
and now I admit buckling under the pressure of the looming partial fraction attempt, trying to get to integrate terms such as $$\int \frac{1}{A+x^2}\mathrm{d}x$$...

Many thanks

I take it that the x and y have nothing to do with the s then?
They are basically just constants for this integration?

muzialis said:
Arildno,
thanks for your hint. I suggest functions $$f = \sqrt{\ln x}$$ and $$g = \sqrt{\ln (x/e^{a^2})}$$.

Because: $$a^2+f^2=a^2 + \ln |x| = \ln|e^{a^2}|+\ln|x| = \ln|xe^{a^2}| \neq g^2$$
(did you make a typo?) OK - so, having found a pair of functions that have the suggested property - try using one of them as a substitution in the integrand...

$$\int \frac{1}{(x^2 + (y-s)^2)^2} \mathrm{d}s$$, change variable y-s = z,
$$\int \frac{-1}{(x^2 + z^2)(x^2+z^2)} \mathrm{d}s =$$
... so did you try your substitution?

Note that ##x^2+z^2 = (x+z)(x-z)##
... which will help with the partial fractions.

Personally I'd start with the very first line and use a substitution.

I believe you have misunderstood the hint ...

How about trig functions:
##\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta=1## and ##1+\tan^2\theta = \sec^2\theta##

The idea is to use one of them to make a substitution.
i.e. starting from ##a^2-x^2## if you substitute ##x=a\sin\theta## then: $$a^2-x^2=a^2(1-\sin^2\theta)=a^2\cos^2\theta$$

... it's probably easier than the partial fractions.

Last edited:
My first thought was a trig substitution. You can make things simpler by bringing the x3 term outside the integral.
$$x^3\int_{-c}^{c} \frac{ds}{(x^2+(y-s)^2)^2}$$

Note that (y - s)2 = (s - y)2, so you can make a slight change like so:
$$x^3\int_{-c}^{c} \frac{ds}{(x^2+(s - y)^2)^2}$$

Then by letting z = s - y, dz = ds, you have:
$$x^3\int_{-c}^{c} \frac{dz}{(x^2+ z^2)^2}$$

then a trig substitution, and off you go...

Mark44: I think you misplaced a minus sign.
[edit] oh I see you exploited that (-x)^2=x^2

I figured trig substitutions too ... so did arildno.

You can do the trig sub right at the start with s=y-x<trig fn> without having to do the initial z=s-y step.
Although it is easier to evaluate - the back-substitution gets messy - needing a table of trig identities for things like sin(arctan(x)).

Partial fraction approach is initially more labor intensive but looks like it gets a more useable result right away.
I guess it depends what you're used to.

Simon Bridge said:
Mark44: I think you misplaced a minus sign.
[edit] oh I see you exploited that (-x)^2=x^2

I figured trig substitutions too ... so did arildno.
It wasn't obvious that that was where arildno was going.
Simon Bridge said:
You can do the trig sub right at the start with s=y-x<trig fn> without having to do the initial z=s-y step.
s = y - x? Must be a typo.
Simon Bridge said:
Although it is easier to evaluate - the back-substitution gets messy - needing a table of trig identities for things like sin(arctan(x)).
You don't need a table if you can draw a right triangle.

Let θ = arctan(x). Label a right triangle with the side opposite θ of length x, and the adjacent side of length 1. Then the hypotenuse is √(x2 + 1). It's straightforward to get sin(θ); i.e., sin(arctan(x)).
Simon Bridge said:
Partial fraction approach is initially more labor intensive but looks like it gets a more useable result right away.
I guess it depends what you're used to.
There's more than one way to skin a cat. However, when I see a sum of squares, I immediately begin to salivate "trig substitution."

Mark44 said:
It wasn't obvious that that was where arildno was going.
s = y - x? Must be a typo.
x multipied by an appropriate trig function.
I didn't want to spell it out any more than I had to.

If T(θ) is a trig function - then a substitution of form: s=y-xT(θ)
That way (y-s)=xT(θ) and ds = -xT'(θ) ... which, admittedly gives you a minus sign to carry around.

You don't need a table if you can draw a right triangle.
Good point.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. However, when I see a sum of squares, I immediately begin to salivate "trig substitution."
I know - me too.

Now to hear from OP.

Actually, I'm rather a hyperbolic guy myself, but trigs work as well.

arildno said:
Actually, I'm rather a hyperbolic guy myself, but trigs work as well.
That's OK - you can get medicine for that :)

Many thanks to all of you for help, very useful and appreciated.
Simon Bridge, yes my solution for the question posed by Arildno was wrong, not a typo but considering g as the constant, again my error.
Thanks again

1. What is integral computation?

Integral computation is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve on a graph. It involves dividing the area into smaller sections and calculating the sum of those sections to approximate the total area.

2. How is integral computation used in science?

Integral computation is used in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to calculate important values such as velocity, acceleration, and work done. It is also used in data analysis to find the total value of a dataset.

3. What are the different types of integral computation?

The two main types of integral computation are definite and indefinite integrals. A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. Other types include Riemann sums and the trapezoidal rule.

4. What are some real-world applications of integral computation?

Integral computation has numerous real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects, determining the amount of work done in a thermodynamic process, and estimating the total distance traveled by an object with varying speed.

5. What are some common challenges when performing integral computation?

One common challenge is finding the appropriate method for a given function, as different methods may be more efficient or accurate for different functions. Another challenge is dealing with complex or undefined functions, which may require advanced techniques or approximations to solve.