Probability to Find a Particle

The correct answer is 1/2*(1-e^{-2/d})*d.In summary, to find the probability of a particle in the interval [0,d], the wavefunction must be normalized by finding the value of A. This is done by integrating the wavefunction and setting it equal to 1. After finding the value of A, the probability can be found by integrating the squared wavefunction over the desired interval. The correct answer is 1/2*(1-e^{-2/d})*d.
Nugso
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a particle in 1-dimension, with wavefunction [tex]Ae^{-\frac{|x|}{2d}}[/tex] . What is the probability to find the particle in the interval [0,d]?
Please provide your answer in terms of A, d, mathematical constants such as π (entered as pi) or e (entered as e). (Assume that A is real)

Homework Equations

[tex]∫ψ²dx = 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to find A by normalizing it. [tex]∫ψ²dx = 1[/tex]

By integrating it, I get [tex] A= 1/\sqrt{2d} [/tex]

Now, I have to integrate it again, but this time with the interval of [0,d]

[tex]∫1/sqrt(2d)*e^{-\frac{|x|}{2d}}*1/sqrt(2d)*e^{-\frac{|x|}{2d}}dx [/tex]

and the answer I'm finding is, [tex]1/2*(1-e^{-1/d})*d[/tex]

But somehow the answer is wrong. How do I correct it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would check your solution for A again.

Likes 1 person
Nugso said:

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a particle in 1-dimension, with wavefunction [tex]Ae^{-\frac{|x|}{2d}}[/tex] . What is the probability to find the particle in the interval [0,d]?
Please provide your answer in terms of A, d, mathematical constants such as π (entered as pi) or e (entered as e). (Assume that A is real)

Homework Equations

[tex]∫ψ²dx = 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to find A by normalizing it. [tex]∫ψ²dx = 1[/tex]

By integrating it, I get [tex] A= 1/\sqrt{2d} [/tex]

Now, I have to integrate it again, but this time with the interval of [0,d]

[tex]∫1/sqrt(2d)*e^{-\frac{|x|}{2d}}*1/sqrt(2d)*e^{-\frac{|x|}{2d}}dx [/tex]

and the answer I'm finding is, [tex]1/2*(1-e^{-1/d})*d[/tex]

But somehow the answer is wrong. How do I correct it?

Check it again. How did you wind up with a -1/d in the exponent?

Likes 1 person
Sorry for the late reply. I checked it and corrected the mistake.

I would like to clarify that the probability to find a particle in a specific interval is given by the integral of the square of the wavefunction over that interval. In this case, the wavefunction is given by Ae^{-\frac{|x|}{2d}} and the interval is [0,d]. Therefore, the probability to find the particle in this interval is given by:

P = ∫0d (Ae^{-\frac{|x|}{2d}})^2 dx

= A^2 ∫0d e^{-\frac{|x|}{d}} dx

= A^2 (-d(e^{-1}-1))

= A^2 (1-e^{-1})

Therefore, the probability to find the particle in the interval [0,d] is given by A^2 (1-e^{-1}). This can also be expressed in terms of d and mathematical constants as A^2 (1-e^{-1}) = 1/2πd (1-e^{-1}).

1. What is the probability of finding a particle at a specific location?

The probability of finding a particle at a specific location is determined by the wave function of the particle, which describes the likelihood of finding the particle at a particular position. This probability is represented by a complex number known as the probability amplitude.

2. How is the probability of finding a particle calculated?

The probability of finding a particle is calculated by taking the absolute square of the probability amplitude. This means squaring the real and imaginary parts of the probability amplitude and then adding them together. The result is a positive real number between 0 and 1, representing the probability of finding the particle at a specific location.

3. Can the probability of finding a particle be greater than 1?

No, the probability of finding a particle cannot be greater than 1. This is because the total probability of finding the particle in all possible locations must add up to 1. If the probability of finding the particle at a specific location is greater than 1, it would violate this rule and would not be a valid probability.

4. How does the probability of finding a particle change with time?

The probability of finding a particle can change with time due to the wave nature of particles. This is described by the Schrödinger equation, which governs the time evolution of the wave function and therefore the probability of finding the particle at different locations. The probability can increase or decrease depending on the specific conditions and interactions involved.

5. What factors affect the probability of finding a particle?

The probability of finding a particle can be affected by various factors, including the initial conditions of the particle, any external forces or interactions acting on the particle, and the shape and properties of the potential energy function in the given system. Additionally, the uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less certain we can be about its momentum, and vice versa. This can also impact the probability of finding the particle at a particular location.