Maximizing Flow Rate in a Water Pipe: Accounting for Pipe Losses

In summary, the question asks for the maximum flow rate in a water pipe supplied by city water with a pressure of 50psi and a diameter of 2". The use of Bernoulli's principle is not valid in this scenario due to factors such as viscous drag and the lack of information about the pipe length and Reynolds number. It is suggested to assume laminar flow and calculate the flow rate using the average velocity and cross sectional area.
soronemus

Homework Statement

What is the maximum flow rate that can be seen in a water pipe where city water is supplied to a building. The pressure behind the water is 50psi, and the inner diameter of the pipe is 2".

Homework Equations

bernoulli's principle

The Attempt at a Solution

I am more over verifying that my process is correct in solving this. I assumed no pipe losses. I used the bernoulli equation. The first point of the bernoulli equation I estimated as the surface of a pond, ocean, or some infinite water source where v=0 (the water elevation does not change) to cancel out the velocity term for point 1. The pressure on top of the surface is 50psi.

The elevation for both points I assumed to be equal, which cancels out all terms for point 1 other than P/density.

For point 2 I used the exit of the pipe where the fed water is first exposed to the atmosphere (p=0). Since the elevation is the same this leaves only the following equation:

Pressure_1/density=V_2^2/2
V=Q/A
therefore
Pressure/density=(Q/A)^2/2
The only unknown in this equation is Q, so it can be solved for.

My question is: is this a valid solution if I am ignoring pipe losses?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a pipe of constant cross section, a pressure difference between the ends implies a force difference, yet the flow rate must be constant. This proves the question is all about viscous drag and Bernoulli does not help.

You can't use Bernoulli, and I will show you why:

Create a balance between the ends of the pipes, 1 designating the front of the pipe and 2 designating the end.

You will have:
P1,T1,V1,rho1,Z1 and P2,T2,V2,rho2,Z2

You know that the temperature, density, and elevation are constant, so T2=T1, rho1=rho2 and Z2=Z1.

You can now apply the Bernoulli equation.

(P2-P1) - rho/2 (V2^2 - V1^2) + hl = 0

Immediately we have a problem. While we do know P2 - P1, we don't know V2 or V1. Additionally, if we wish to apply the Darcy friction/loss formulas (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy–Weisbach_equation) we do not know the length of the pipe or the operating Reynolds number, so we can't use these equations.

My recommendation:
Assume the flow is laminar. You know there is a certain velocity profile from laminar flow. From here you can calculate the flow rate using Q = V*A where V is the average velocity and A is the cross sectional area. You can do this if the flow is turbulent too, but you have to make some additional assumptions.

1. What is the maximum flow rate through a pipe and how is it determined?

The maximum flow rate through a pipe is the highest amount of fluid that can pass through it in a given time. It is determined by various factors such as the diameter and length of the pipe, the fluid viscosity, and the pressure and velocity of the fluid.

2. How does the diameter of a pipe affect the maximum flow rate?

The diameter of a pipe has a direct impact on the maximum flow rate. The larger the diameter, the higher the maximum flow rate, as it allows for a larger volume of fluid to pass through in a given time.

3. Can the maximum flow rate through a pipe change over time?

Yes, the maximum flow rate through a pipe can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the fluid properties, pipe condition, or external factors like temperature and pressure. Regular maintenance and monitoring can help ensure the maximum flow rate remains consistent.

4. How is the maximum flow rate affected by the type of fluid passing through the pipe?

The type of fluid passing through the pipe can greatly affect the maximum flow rate. Fluids with higher viscosity, such as oil, will have a lower maximum flow rate compared to fluids with lower viscosity, such as water. Additionally, the density and temperature of the fluid can also impact the maximum flow rate.

5. Is there a way to increase the maximum flow rate through a pipe?

Yes, there are a few ways to increase the maximum flow rate through a pipe. One way is to increase the diameter of the pipe, which allows for a larger volume of fluid to pass through. Another way is to decrease the fluid's viscosity by heating it or using additives. Additionally, optimizing the pressure and velocity of the fluid can also increase the maximum flow rate.