Tension particle between two strings

In summary: The problem states that there is a rotation and with that rotation, there is a tension which keeps the weight moving in a circular path. To me, that tension should be measured along the same direction as the rotation - the string itself.In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanics problem involving a string, weight, and rotation. The problem asks to find the tension acting between the ends of the string in terms of its dependence on the distance between the ends. The solution involves calculating the axial and radial tension, and the average tension for an ensemble of such systems. There is a discrepancy between the solution and the answer in the textbook, and it is unclear whether the problem is asking for the axial tension or the resultant tension. It is recommended to clarify this
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

While going over the exercises in my mechanics tutoring sheet I found that one of the problems' stated answer didn't make sense to me (it's apparently from a textbook):

A weight of mass ##m## is fixed to the middle point of a string of length ##l## as shown in the figure [see attachment] and rotates about an axis joining the ends of the string. The system is in contact with its environment at a temperature ##T##. Calculate the tension ##X## acting between the ends of the string in terms of its dependence upon the distance ##x## between the ends.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##\theta## be the angle either string makes with ##x##. By symmetry ##\theta## has to be the same for both strings and so too must the tension. We have ##\cos\theta = \frac{x}{l}## and ##\sin\theta = \frac{2 r}{l}## where ##r## is the radius of the circular trajectory. Then ##2X \sin\theta = \frac{mv^2}{r} = \frac{2mv^2}{l \sin\theta}## so ##X = \frac{mv^2}{l (1 - \cos^2\theta)} = \frac{mv^2 l}{l^2 - x^2} = 2K \frac{l}{l^2 - x^2}## where ##K## is the kinetic energy. Using the equipartition theorem we then have that the average tension in either string is ##\langle X \rangle = k_B T \frac{l}{l^2 - x^2}##.

The answer however is apparently supposed to be ##\langle X \rangle = k_B T \frac{x}{l^2 - x^2}##. But how can this be? This would imply that for ##x = 0## there is no tension in either string which is obviously not true. The tension in either string for ##x = 0## should be ##\frac{mv^2}{l}## as this is exactly half of the centripetal force ##\frac{mv^2}{l/2}##.

My other issue is, the problem statement says "calculate the tension ##X## acting between the ends of the string...". How can someone possibly infer from this that the problem wants the thermal average ##\langle X \rangle## for an ensemble of such systems and not just the actual tension ##X## for anyone copy of the system? Is one to infer it from the lack of specification of the angular velocity ##\omega## of the particle together with the specification of the temperature ##T## of the heat bath?

Attachments

• problem statement string.png
    problem statement string.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks right to me, as well as producing the correct limits. The book's answer can't be right given your argument. And yes, the book should have asked for an ensemble average since there is no one unique tension, given the variables given in the problem.

WannabeNewton said:
Calculate the tension ##X## acting between the ends of the string in terms of its dependence upon the distance ##x## between the ends.
My reading of this is that it is asking for an axial tension.

WannabeNewton said:
Then ##2X \sin\theta = \frac{mv^2}{r}##
Here you find the radial tension.

WannabeNewton said:
This would imply that for ##x = 0## there is no tension in either string which is obviously not true. The tension in either string for ##x = 0## should be ##\frac{mv^2}{l}## as this is exactly half of the centripetal force ##\frac{mv^2}{l/2}##.

For x = 0 there would be no axial tension, only radial tension.
Also, ##\frac{mv^2}{l}##is exactly double the centripetal force ##\frac{mv^2}{l/2}##.

jackwhirl said:
My reading of this is that it is asking for an axial tension.

What is axial vs. radial tension?

jackwhirl said:
Also, ##\frac{mv^2}{l}##is exactly double the centripetal force ##\frac{mv^2}{l/2}##.

No it isn't. ##\frac{mv^2}{l/2} = \frac{2mv^2}{l}## is double ##\frac{mv^2}{l}## not the other way around.

Ah. Missed the division symbol there. Sorry.

Anyway, axial tension would be the component of the tension in line with x. The radial tension would be the component of the tension in line with the radius, perpendicular to the axis.

jackwhirl said:
Anyway, axial tension would be the component of the tension in line with x. The radial tension would be the component of the tension in line with the radius, perpendicular to the axis.

I see, thanks. Well if the problem wants the axial tension then that would certainly give the required result. But how does a person reading the problem go about interpreting the statement "find the tension ##X## acting between the ends of the string" as "find the component of the tension in either segment of the string along ##x##" as opposed to "find the resultant tension in either segment of the string" which is what I calculated above, or even "find the net tension in the string"?

By "segment" I mean one of the two halves of the string in the depicted diagram since the problem considers the two joint half segments to be the entire string.

The only consistent definition of tension is along the direction of the string itself. If the problem wanted you to project this vector along the x-axis, it would have to explicitly say that. I do not agree that the problem is asking for this.

Matterwave said:
The only consistent definition of tension is along the direction of the string itself.

This is how I read the problem as well so I went about calculating the tension along either half of the string.

Thank you for your earlier reply by the way.

Matterwave said:
If the problem wanted you to project this vector along the x-axis, it would have to explicitly say that. I do not agree that the problem is asking for this.

If it was ambiguous to me then it might be ambiguous to the students as well so I will definitely be more clear when giving them the problem.

WannabeNewton said:
This is how I read the problem as well so I went about calculating the tension along either half of the string.

Thank you for your earlier reply by the way.

If it was ambiguous to me then it might be ambiguous to the students as well so I will definitely be more clear when giving them the problem.

It also physically makes no sense to me why you want to search for the x-projection.

1. What is the tension particle between two strings?

The tension particle between two strings is a theoretical concept used to explain the force that exists between two objects connected by a string or rope. It is also known as the tension force and is represented by the symbol T.

2. How is the tension particle calculated?

The tension particle is calculated using the formula T = F/L, where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and L is the length of the string. This formula assumes that the strings are massless and inextensible.

3. What factors affect the tension particle between two strings?

The tension particle between two strings is affected by several factors, including the weight of the objects connected by the string, the angle at which the string is pulled, and the elasticity of the string. The presence of friction or air resistance can also impact the tension force.

4. How does the tension particle change with an increase in the angle of the string?

As the angle of the string increases, the tension particle also increases. This is because the applied force is divided into two components, one parallel to the string and one perpendicular. As the angle increases, more of the force is directed perpendicular to the string, resulting in a higher tension force.

5. What is the significance of the tension particle in real-life applications?

The tension particle is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of objects connected by strings or ropes, such as pulley systems, suspension bridges, and elevators. It also helps in analyzing the stability and safety of structures and in designing mechanisms that rely on tension forces.