Moment of Inertia for Half Disk

In summary, the moment of inertia of a thin, flat plate in the shape of a semicircle rotating about the straight side is MR2.
bphys348
1. Question:
What is the moment of inertia of a thin, flat plate in the shape of a semicircle rotating about the straight side (Fig. 12.28)? The mass of the plate is M and the radius is R

The diagram is attached for reference.

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia: I = ∫R2dm
Perpendicular Axis Theorem: Iz = Ix + Iy

The Attempt at a Solution

I made attempts to solve this is a couple of ways...

First attempt: Using I = ∫R2dm

I chose the y-axis to be parallel to the distance from the axis of rotation to mass elements on the disk.

I defined the distance from the rotation axis y = rsinΘ, where r is the distance of the mass element from the center.

In my integral for I, I substituted for R2, r2sin2Θ

dm = (M/A)*dA where A=(πR2)/2 and dA=drdΘ

Plugging into the integral, I get I = 2M/(πR2) ∫r2dr from o to R * ∫sin2ΘdΘ from 0 to π

Solving, I get MR/3

Now, I know there is something fundamentally wrong with process because I realize I should have some multiple of R2... Was hoping someone could help shed some light

Attempt 2
I believe the problem becomes much simpler if I use the perpendicular axis theorem but I still failed to get the correct answer this way.

Iz = Ix + Iy

Ix would mean the half disk coincides with the radial center of the disk. Ix (for a full circle) = (MR2)/2 but we have of a disk, so I believe Ix= (MR2)/4

Iy would mean the half disk rotation about the y-axis intersecting the radial center. Iy (for a full circle) = (MR2)/4 but this is a half disk to Iy = (MR2)/8

Ix + Iy = Iz, for which I get (3MR2)/8

Book says the solution is (MR2)/4 so I'm a little frustrated at this point.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 2,338
Physics news on Phys.org
bphys348 said:
Attempt 2
I believe the problem becomes much simpler if I use the perpendicular axis theorem but I still failed to get the correct answer this way.

Iz = Ix + Iy
That's the way to go, but let Iz be that of a full disk about its axis. Then you'll solve for Ix and Iy, for a full disk. Then getting half a disk should be easy.

bphys348 said:
axis theorem but I still failed to get the correct answer this way.

Iz = Ix + Iy

Ix would mean the half disk coincides with the radial center of the disk. Ix (for a full circle) = (MR2)/2 but we have of a disk, so I believe Ix= (MR2)/4
Not sure I understand what you wrote there, but bear in mind that if you want M to be the mass of the half disk then the full disk has mass 2M.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm missing something in my understanding...

If I let Iz be that of a full disk about its axis, you mean through its center and perpendicular to its faces, correct?

The math works out in that case and I get Iz = (1/4)MR2 but it seems to me that that is answering a different question. Shouldn't Iz be through the center and parallel to its faces, as the question asks? This confuses me

Thanks!

bphys348 said:
If I let Iz be that of a full disk about its axis, you mean through its center and perpendicular to its faces, correct?
Right.

The math works out in that case and I get Iz = (1/4)MR2 but it seems to me that that is answering a different question.
How did you get that?

Shouldn't Iz be through the center and parallel to its faces, as the question asks? This confuses me
No. Iz should be known. You'll solve for Ix and Iy. Ix (or Iy) will be through the center and parallel to the face.

If Iz is through the center and perpendicular to the faces, Ix is though the center and parallel to the faces and Iy is through the center and parallel to the faces (but at 90 degrees to Iy)

So Ix is what I want to find

Iz = (1/2)MR2

Iy = (1/4)MR2

Ix = Iz - Iy = (1/2)MR2 - (1/4)MR2 = (1/4)MR2

But this is only a half disk, so Ix = (1/2)(1/4)MR2 = (1/8)MR2

bphys348 said:
If Iz is through the center and perpendicular to the faces, Ix is though the center and parallel to the faces and Iy is through the center and parallel to the faces (but at 90 degrees to Iy)

So Ix is what I want to find

Iz = (1/2)MR2

Iy = (1/4)MR2

Ix = Iz - Iy = (1/2)MR2 - (1/4)MR2 = (1/4)MR2

But this is only a half disk, so Ix = (1/2)(1/4)MR2 = (1/8)MR2
Excellent. (You didn't have to solve for Ix by subtracting. By symmetry, you know that Ix and Iy must be equal, so Ix = Iy = (1/2)Iz.)

Now recall that "M" is the mass of a full disk. Rewrite in terms of the mass of just the half disk and you are done.

Likes 1 person
k. Got it

Thanks!

1. What is the moment of inertia for a half disk?

The moment of inertia for a half disk is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the half disk by the square of its radius divided by 4.

2. How is the moment of inertia for a half disk different from a full disk?

The moment of inertia for a half disk is half that of a full disk, since only half of the disk's mass is included in the calculation. This is because the other half of the disk is not contributing to the rotational motion.

3. Does the shape of the half disk affect its moment of inertia?

Yes, the shape of the half disk does affect its moment of inertia. A flatter and wider half disk will have a larger moment of inertia compared to a taller and narrower half disk with the same mass and radius.

4. How does the moment of inertia for a half disk affect its rotational motion?

The moment of inertia for a half disk determines how much torque is needed to produce a certain angular acceleration. A lower moment of inertia means less torque is needed for the same amount of acceleration, while a higher moment of inertia requires more torque.

5. Can the moment of inertia for a half disk be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia for a half disk can be changed by altering its mass or radius. Adding more mass or increasing the radius will increase the moment of inertia, while reducing mass or decreasing the radius will decrease the moment of inertia.