Disk conservation of momentum problem

In summary, two disks, one rotating and one stationary, eventually reach the same angular velocity due to rough surfaces. The angular velocity can be calculated using wi(I1/I1 +I2) = w. It is also possible to find the ratio of final to initial kinetic energy by taking the ratio of 1/2(I1+I2)w^2 to 1/2IWi^2, substituting for w.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A disk with momentum of inertia I1 rotates with angular velocity Wi about a vertical friction less axle. A second disk, with moment of inertia I2 and initially not rotating , drops onto the first. Because the surfaces are rough, the two eventually reach the same angular velocity, w. (a) calculate w.(b) show that mechanical energy is lost in this situation and calculate the ration of the final to the initial kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I successfully calculated the angular velocity as wi(I1/I1 +I2) = w but am having trouble on the second part which is to find the ratio of final to kinetic energy. I not really sure how to approach that part.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the final kinetic energy and what is the initial one? Take the ratio.

Likes 1 person
Orodruin said:
What is the final kinetic energy and what is the initial one? Take the ratio.

The final kinetic energy should just be Ke = 1/2(I1+I2)w^2. The initial should be 1/2IWi^2. How do I take the ratio?

BrainMan said:
The final kinetic energy should just be Ke = 1/2(I1+I2)w^2. The initial should be 1/2IWi^2. How do I take the ratio?
You write a ratio as two expressions separated by a colon. As with division, you can cancel any common factors. Substitute for w using the result of the first part of the question.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
You write a ratio as two expressions separated by a colon. As with division, you can cancel any common factors. Substitute for w using the result of the first part of the question.
OK thanks! I got it right!

1. What is the disk conservation of momentum problem?

The disk conservation of momentum problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the final velocity of a disk after it collides with another object, taking into account the conservation of momentum. This principle states that the total momentum of a system before and after a collision must remain the same.

2. How is the conservation of momentum applied to solving this problem?

To solve the disk conservation of momentum problem, we use the equation: m1v1 + m2v2= m1v1f + m2v2f. This equation represents the conservation of momentum, where m represents mass and v represents velocity.

3. What information is needed to solve this problem?

To solve the disk conservation of momentum problem, we need to know the masses and initial velocities of both objects involved in the collision. We also need to know the final velocity of one of the objects, which can be calculated using the conservation of energy principle.

4. What are the steps to solving this problem?

The steps to solving the disk conservation of momentum problem are: 1) Identify the masses and initial velocities of both objects, 2) Set up the conservation of momentum equation, 3) Solve for the final velocity of the disk, 4) Check your answer and make sure it is reasonable.

5. Are there any limitations to using the conservation of momentum principle in this problem?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using the conservation of momentum principle in the disk conservation of momentum problem. This principle only applies when there are no external forces acting on the system, and when the collision is elastic (kinetic energy is conserved). Additionally, this principle only applies in one direction, so it cannot be used to calculate the final velocities of both objects in a collision.