Static Slope Problem: Find Downward Force at Fulcrum

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the downward force at the fulcrum point in a scenario involving a block at a distance d from a slope and a cable connected to a block of mass m on an incline of angle theta. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the force of the string as m*g*sin(theta) and determining its components. A picture and schematic are also mentioned.
dhc107

Homework Statement

If i have a block that is d distance back from a slope, and I have cable coming out of the block (lets assume at ground level) that goes over to a fulcrum at the ledge of an incline of angle theta down to a block of mass m. What is the downward force at the fulcrum point?
2. Attempt at a solution

I can find the force of the string as m*g*sin(theta)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Here is a picture

Here is a schematic

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 405
dhc107 said:
What are the components of this force?

but I don't know how to find the downward force at the fulcrum.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical principles at play. In this case, we are dealing with a static slope problem, which means that the system is in equilibrium and all forces must balance out. The key concept here is torque, which is the force that causes rotational motion. In this case, the fulcrum point is the pivot point where the torque is acting.

To find the downward force at the fulcrum point, we need to consider the forces acting on the system. The block of mass m exerts a downward force due to gravity, which can be calculated as m*g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. We also have the force of the cable pulling the block up the slope, which we can find using the formula m*g*sin(theta), as mentioned in the attempt at a solution.

Since the system is in equilibrium, the downward force at the fulcrum point must be equal to the sum of these two forces. This can be expressed mathematically as follows:

Fdown = m*g + m*g*sin(theta)

To find the exact value of the downward force at the fulcrum point, we would need to know the values of m, g, and theta. Once we have these values, we can plug them into the equation and solve for Fdown.

In conclusion, to find the downward force at the fulcrum point in this static slope problem, we need to consider the forces acting on the system and use the concept of torque to determine the equilibrium condition. By doing so, we can find a mathematical expression for the downward force at the fulcrum point and solve for its value.

1. What is the Static Slope Problem?

The Static Slope Problem is a problem in physics that involves finding the downward force at the fulcrum of a lever. It is typically used to calculate the amount of force needed to balance an object on a sloped surface.

2. How is the downward force at the fulcrum calculated?

The downward force at the fulcrum can be calculated by using the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula takes into account the weight of the object and the force exerted on it by gravity.

3. What factors affect the downward force at the fulcrum?

The downward force at the fulcrum is affected by the mass of the object, the angle of the slope, and the strength of gravity. The greater the mass of the object and the steeper the slope, the greater the downward force at the fulcrum will be. The strength of gravity also plays a role in determining the force.

4. How is the Static Slope Problem used in real life?

The Static Slope Problem is used in many real-life applications, such as construction and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the force needed to keep a building or bridge from collapsing on a sloped surface.

5. Are there any limitations to the Static Slope Problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Static Slope Problem. It assumes that the surface is perfectly smooth and that there are no external forces acting on the object. In real-life scenarios, there may be friction or other forces that can affect the downward force at the fulcrum.