Which Canadian Universities Are Best for Theoretical Physics Studies?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for Canadian universities for graduate studies in theoretical physics, specifically in the fields of HEP and QG. UBC, McMaster, and UofT are mentioned as top choices, with UW and GWP also being good options due to their connection with the Perimeter Institute. Carleton University is mentioned for its high impact research in particle or medical physics, and universities that operate TRIUMF (Canada's physics lab in Vancouver) such as UBC, SFU, and the University of Alberta are also suggested as good choices.
touqra
I'm about to complete my Bachelor of Science in Physics and am interested in doing graduate studies in Canada. Any Canadian universities you can recommend for theoretical physics, in particular HEP and QG?

Physics news on Phys.org
UBC,MAC adn UFT come to mind..
though UW opened a units physics institute but i think its more QC then QG.

UW's physics department is actually merged with guelph university's. I'd say UofT or GWP (UW and Guelph's) that's like Harvard or MIT basically. GWP is a much younger grad school but it's also more closely linked with the Perimeter Institute.

waterloo, UBC, toronto...
Waterloo is next to the Perimeter institute, but I am not sure as to what kind of partnerships they have, if any

Waterloo swaps profs with the PI (for better or worse) and most of its phys profs also work there in the disciplines of quantum computing and such (plus the institute of quantum computing).

How about Carleton University?

It's a medium-sized school in Ottawa, Ontario, and was recently found to have the highest impact research in Canada based on citation data from the ISI. The article is at http://www.physics.carleton.ca/events/acco.gif. However, the research done by the department is generally in particle or medical physics, which may not be your interests.

any of the universities that operate TRIUMF, Canada's physics lab in vancouver (& world's largest cyclotron), would be good choices. those are u of victoria, u of bc, sfu, u of Alberta (i think).

fourier jr said:
any of the universities that operate TRIUMF, Canada's physics lab in vancouver (& world's largest cyclotron), would be good choices. those are u of victoria, u of bc, sfu, u of Alberta (i think).

Actually, the universities that operate Triumf are (from http://www.triumf.info/):

University of Alberta, University of British Columbia, Carleton University, Simon Fraser University, University of Toronto, University of Victoria

So that was almost right :)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the admission requirements for graduate studies in Canada?

The specific admission requirements for graduate studies vary between universities and programs, but generally include a bachelor's degree from a recognized institution, minimum GPA requirements, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT). International students may also need to provide proof of English proficiency.

2. How much does it cost to pursue graduate studies in Canada?

The cost of graduate studies in Canada can vary greatly depending on the university, program, and individual circumstances. On average, international students can expect to pay between $20,000 to $30,000 CAD per year for tuition, while domestic students may pay less. It's important to also consider living expenses, such as housing, food, and transportation, which can add to the overall cost.

3. Are scholarships and financial aid available for graduate studies in Canada?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for graduate studies in Canada. These can include merit-based scholarships from universities, government-funded scholarships, and external scholarships from organizations and foundations. It's important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in Canada?

The length of a graduate program in Canada can vary depending on the field of study and the type of degree being pursued. On average, a master's degree can take 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral degree can take 4-6 years. Some programs may also offer the option of a fast-track or accelerated program, which can shorten the time needed to complete the degree.

5. Can international students work while pursuing graduate studies in Canada?

Yes, international students in Canada are allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during the school year and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as summer vacation. However, it's important to check with the specific university and program for any restrictions or guidelines. After graduation, international students may also be eligible for a post-graduation work permit, which allows them to work in Canada for up to 3 years.